Deer Heart and Liver

Maeschak

Songster
Mar 29, 2016
Maryland, USA
I hope this is an appropriate place to post my question... Please let me know if not.

I got a deer this morning and am keeping the heart and liver. What is the best way to process them before freezing? Before I have always just washed, trimmed, dried and vacuum packed the same day. Deer liver has always had a very strong flavor to me so I usually make a pate w tons of onions, garlic, etc. The heart is also fairly strong tasting so I usually boil it, and then it tastes just the way I like it. (Slicing and sautéing the heart produced a flavor I did not like).

So, would it help to soak both the heart and liver in salt water to remove some of the strong flavor? And if so how long can I safely soak those organs before drying and freezing?

They are trimmed up and waiting in the fridge now, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks~

I hope this is an appropriate place to post my question... Please let me know if not.

I got a deer this morning and am keeping the heart and liver. What is the best way to process them before freezing? Before I have always just washed, trimmed, dried and vacuum packed the same day. Deer liver has always had a very strong flavor to me so I usually make a pate w tons of onions, garlic, etc. The heart is also fairly strong tasting so I usually boil it, and then it tastes just the way I like it. (Slicing and sautéing the heart produced a flavor I did not like).

So, would it help to soak both the heart and liver in salt water to remove some of the strong flavor? And if so how long can I safely soak those organs before drying and freezing?

They are trimmed up and waiting in the fridge now, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks~
I stuff the heart and have not had the liver, although I do eat liver, would love to have your recipe, if you are willing to share. Stuff the heart with italian sausage and cover with bacon to keep moist, run through the oven. My family likes this simple recipe.

You're doing it the way I do... I'll also make hash from the boiled heart.

Great- have you ever soaked either in salt water before freezing to remove some of the strong flavor? I dont want to ruin them! I wasn't able to salvage the heart or liver from my first deer this season so as of now I only have the one set.

Great- have you ever soaked either in salt water before freezing to remove some of the strong flavor? I dont want to ruin them! I wasn't able to salvage the heart or liver from my first deer this season so as of now I only have the one set.
I've soaked rabbit in salt water but never deer meat. I have no idea how it would turn out.

@Ursuline Chick

Liver Pate

Ingredients:
1lb liver
1 small onion (I sometimes use large)
Garlic Cloves (I never wrote down the amount bc I use tons, as many as I feel like peeling. If a recipe says 2 cloves I will always use 5-6)
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp salt PLUS enough to taste at end
1 cup h2o
1 stick of butter (original recipe calls for 3?!?!. 1 is fine for me)
4 tsp cognac or whiskey (never added this as I've always 'used' my supply during final processing of my deer!)
Peppercorns or pepper to taste (I like my pate spicey so I also add whatever peppers I have saved from garden such as jalapeño or Thai)

Directions:
In pan combine liver, onion, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, 1/2 tsp salt, and water. (You can also add butter here if you like but I'm fine with the 1 stick used during food processor stage)
Bring to simmer, cover, and turn to low stirring occasionally. Do this until liver is almost cooked through but still a tiny pink. (About 3 minutes?)
Remove from heat and keep covered for 5 minutes. This will finish the liver cooking.
After 5 minutes remove bay leaves.
Put all pan contents into food processor and blend until coarse.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add 1 stick of butter (cold, not melted! The warm liver etc will soften butter) at 2 Tablespoons at a time to food processor and continue to blend until smooth and the whole stick of butter is incorporated.
Add the Booz if you have any.
Put the pate into containers (I use those little tiny jelly jars) and either press plastic onto the top of the pate before putting lid on or pour melted butter over top of the pate before putting the lid on. This will keep the pate from turning a nasty color.

Then I usually freeze the jars. Works great!

Sorry for any typos- I'm writing on super old iPad.

I stuff the heart and have not had the liver, although I do eat liver, would love to have your recipe, if you are willing to share. Stuff the heart with italian sausage and cover with bacon to keep moist, run through the oven. My family likes this simple recipe.

PS- I use this same recipe for my chicken liver pate. But I absolutely love the flavor of chicken livers so I don't go overboard w the garlic and onions.

@Ursuline Chick

Liver Pate

Ingredients:
1lb liver
1 small onion (I sometimes use large)
Garlic Cloves (I never wrote down the amount bc I use tons, as many as I feel like peeling. If a recipe says 2 cloves I will always use 5-6)
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp salt PLUS enough to taste at end
1 cup h2o
1 stick of butter (original recipe calls for 3?!?!. 1 is fine for me)
4 tsp cognac or whiskey (never added this as I've always 'used' my supply during final processing of my deer!)
Peppercorns or pepper to taste (I like my pate spicey so I also add whatever peppers I have saved from garden such as jalapeño or Thai)

Directions:
In pan combine liver, onion, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, 1/2 tsp salt, and water. (You can also add butter here if you like but I'm fine with the 1 stick used during food processor stage)
Bring to simmer, cover, and turn to low stirring occasionally. Do this until liver is almost cooked through but still a tiny pink. (About 3 minutes?)
Remove from heat and keep covered for 5 minutes. This will finish the liver cooking.
After 5 minutes remove bay leaves.
Put all pan contents into food processor and blend until coarse.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add 1 stick of butter (cold, not melted! The warm liver etc will soften butter) at 2 Tablespoons at a time to food processor and continue to blend until smooth and the whole stick of butter is incorporated.
Add the Booz if you have any.
Put the pate into containers (I use those little tiny jelly jars) and either press plastic onto the top of the pate before putting lid on or pour melted butter over top of the pate before putting the lid on. This will keep the pate from turning a nasty color.

Then I usually freeze the jars. Works great!

Sorry for any typos- I'm writing on super old iPad.
Thank you so much, this sounds wonderful, can't wait to try it.

Back
Top Bottom