Deformed Chick Won’t Eat

Lana_Marie

Chirping
Feb 7, 2022
I received an order of chicks on Wednesday, and unfortunately one of them was not dealt very good genetic cards. She is a French black copper maran, and on one side of her body she has a polydactyl foot and a partially deformed eye. She also came with a very slight wry neck leaning towards that side, and very slight (almost unnoticeable) scissor beak.

I know after hearing that a lot of people would say to just cull her, but I believe if the animal is not suffering that they do desire to live and we should give them the best chance.

Since arrival I have been giving her vitamin E mixed with egg yoke every two to three hours, and her wry neck is basically gone. I intend to continue supplementing vitamin E with egg for another week and a half.

She is a bit wobbly, but can hold her own and enjoys being with the rest of the chicks. She drinks water fine on her own, and I have seen her pick at food, but not often.

My concern is that I feel like she should be able to feed herself, as she has no head tilt anymore, but her crop is always empty in the morning, whereas the rest of the chicks’ are full. How long should I expect to have to hand feed her, and are there any ways to tempt her to get to eat on her own? I have tried dried and softened food.

Thanks for any advice

Lana

Hi Lana, it sounds like you are giving the very best care to your little chick! Every chick is going to be different, depending on the severity of her deformities, you may have to help for quite awhile or she may get the hang of it soon.

Some thing you could try:
-sav a chick electrolytes in the water to increase her energy and ability to try and feed on her own
-mixing the food with even more warm water. If she's able to drink, you could try mixing chick crumbles with warm water until it's a very liquidy consistency to make it easier than even the softened food you've already offered
-weigh her daily to get a better idea of how she is doing

The decision of whether or when to cull is a tough one. Best of luck to you and your chicks!

Hi Lana, it sounds like you are giving the very best care to your little chick! Every chick is going to be different, depending on the severity of her deformities, you may have to help for quite awhile or she may get the hang of it soon.

Some thing you could try:
-sav a chick electrolytes in the water to increase her energy and ability to try and feed on her own
-mixing the food with even more warm water. If she's able to drink, you could try mixing chick crumbles with warm water until it's a very liquidy consistency to make it easier than even the softened food you've already offered
-weigh her daily to get a better idea of how she is doing

The decision of whether or when to cull is a tough one. Best of luck to you and your chicks!
Thank you. I am giving her electrolytes. I’ll try mixing food in until it’s more liquid.

I received an order of chicks on Wednesday, and unfortunately one of them was not dealt very good genetic cards. She is a French black copper maran, and on one side of her body she has a polydactyl foot and a partially deformed eye. She also came with a very slight wry neck leaning towards that side, and very slight (almost unnoticeable) scissor beak.

I know after hearing that a lot of people would say to just cull her, but I believe if the animal is not suffering that they do desire to live and we should give them the best chance.

Since arrival I have been giving her vitamin E mixed with egg yoke every two to three hours, and her wry neck is basically gone. I intend to continue supplementing vitamin E with egg for another week and a half.

She is a bit wobbly, but can hold her own and enjoys being with the rest of the chicks. She drinks water fine on her own, and I have seen her pick at food, but not often.

My concern is that I feel like she should be able to feed herself, as she has no head tilt anymore, but her crop is always empty in the morning, whereas the rest of the chicks’ are full. How long should I expect to have to hand feed her, and are there any ways to tempt her to get to eat on her own? I have tried dried and softened food.

Thanks for any advice

Lana
Lana, how much vitamin e did you give and how often? I think I have a weird variation of wry neck. Not really sure since I've seen nothing like mine. But the vitamin e seems to be helping. It's been 3 days on it. Thanks! Good luck with your sweet! I'm glad you didnt cull it!

Back
Top Bottom