Dehydrated hen acting lethargic

Rachel504

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 16, 2014
Hello! I went out this evening and noticed one of my hens was behaving very weak and having trouble standing. It's very hot, so I figured she was dehydrated and sprayed her down with water. I just brought her inside and dried her off. I also got her to drink a bit, but what else should I do for her? I am going to put out some electrolyte water for her right now. I'll probably keep her in my room for the night. I'd appreciate any further help with this, thank you!

Make sure she stays hydrated. An eye dropper with some water in the side of the beak. Not too much at a time. Make sure she is swallowing. I keep poultry nutri drench on hand at all times. It is a liquid I can dilute down to help when I have a sick chicken. Picked up a Speckled Sussex from the feed store this spring along with other chicks. The SS had spent an extra day on the plane and several were dead and dying when they arrived at the feed store. Mine was so weak it would just stand still and wobble while the other chicks ran around eating and drinking. I used my finger and dipped it in the diluted mix and touched it to the top of the beak. One drop at a time would roll down and she would drink. Did this for two days and she made it. Maybe 30 drops every hour?

Thank you for the replies! We gave her a little electrolyte water with a syringe and she is just really tired now. Hopefully she'll be alright. Our feed store sells poultry nutri-drench, so I'll see if I can get some tomorrow when I go out.

I also put some leftover watermelon in the freezer. If she's feeling better I'll give her and the other hens some tomorrow :) Thanks again!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom