Dela Where?

DEBlues

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 1, 2013
Delaware
Good evening, all. I'm new. New here, new to chickens, just new. I'm in the state of Delaware. It is not in Pennsylvania.

My flock, which currently numbers 24, was unplanned. They range from 3 to 4 (couple closer to 5) weeks old. I have had them since they were a few days old. It seems the UofD sends out fertilized eggs and incubators to the local public schools, kids hatch chickens, chicks get sent back to university immediately after and because they cannot risk introducing disease to their existing flocks, they will destroy said chicks unless someone is there to collect them.

That's how I ended up with 30 chickens, when I only really want four. Lol. I have managed to give six away.

They are Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Rocks, Araucanas, White Crested Black Polish and, of course, our state bird the Delaware Blue. Which, as it turns out, can be blue, white, black, blue and gold.. I had no idea.

So now I have all these chickens, and no idea who is a boy and who is a girl. Halp!

About me: I am a vet tech, mother of one, my son is autistic and is obsessed with birds of all kinds and especially those rowdy crazy blues. We have two cats, a dog, a box turtle, three rabbits, a parrot and now.. Chickens.

Pics to follow.

Goodnight, fellow crazy chicken people!

welcome-byc.gif
you are very kind hearted to take them all in. Hope you have luck rehoming what you don't wish to keep. You could post on the "what breed or gender is this" to see if more experienced chickeners can be of service. They would need good, clear photos, especially showing the head & comb area.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Good luck in your rehoming efforts. There is a section in the Buy-sell-Trade section where you can list birds for free rehoming, you may need a certain number of posts to participate. there are also state threads you could post on in the Where am I - Where are you section of the Forum.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from New Mexico!

Sounds like you really have your hands full of chicken! LOL I think many of us are "over run" with chickens and other poultry. :)

So glad to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

I do have some people lined up to take chickens. One of my co-workers' has a sister who wants a rooster, which is helpful because I think I've got mostly roosters.

Back
Top Bottom