Sick 4yr old buff orpington

Alex S

Songster
Nov 20, 2020
Kirkland, Washington
My chicken has become suddenly I'll and not sure why. She is pale and not moving around. She refuses to eat or drink. What could I do/what is wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_20240520_191414.jpg
    IMG_20240520_191414.jpg
    811.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240520_192128.jpg
    IMG_20240520_192128.jpg
    698.1 KB · Views: 2
When you visit the doctor because you aren't feeling well, they have you fill out a medical history questionaire so they can start out with a few clues. Same goes for a sick chicken. So you need to give us some background on your hen so we can hunt for clues.

How old is she?
Is she currently laying? When was her last egg?
Any egg quality issues such as thin shells or no shells?
Have you had a sudden turn of weather from cool to very hot?
Has this hen been scratching in a compost pile?
Have you noticed her nibbling on anything moldy?
Have you checked her crop to be sure it's emptying by morning?
Can she stand or is she paralyzed?
Have you examined her for injuries, parting her feathers, checking under the wings and around her neck?
Have you examined her legs for signs of greenish bruising and her feet for signs of injury?
Finally, what does her poop look like?

When you visit the doctor because you aren't feeling well, they have you fill out a medical history questionaire so they can start out with a few clues. Same goes for a sick chicken. So you need to give us some background on your hen so we can hunt for clues.

How old is she?
Is she currently laying? When was her last egg?
Any egg quality issues such as thin shells or no shells?
Have you had a sudden turn of weather from cool to very hot?
Has this hen been scratching in a compost pile?
Have you noticed her nibbling on anything moldy?
Have you checked her crop to be sure it's emptying by morning?
Can she stand or is she paralyzed?
Have you examined her for injuries, parting her feathers, checking under the wings and around her neck?
Have you examined her legs for signs of greenish bruising and her feet for signs of injury?
Finally, what does her poop look like?
I think she is still laying but slowing down. Last egg maybe yesterday or this morning.

Eggs seem normal

Weather dipped recently from upper 70s to low 60s

We don't have a compost pile or noticed mold eating

I can check if the crop has emptied in the morning

She stood earlier but is choosing to lay down

No injuries or bruises

I'm guessing dehydration because the waterer broke and leaked and will not hold water for long enough. She ate some grapes and some color is coming back. She is resting now

Give her one cup of water with one teaspoon sugar plus a pinch of salt and baking soda stirred in. This treats both dehydration and shock. Do it before you go to bed. She needs this right now. Dip her beak in this solution so she knows it's something good to drink.

Back
Top Bottom