Delaware "pullets"

BombadilFarm

Hatching
Jul 16, 2015
I'm a first time chicken mother. I supposedly purchased 4 Delaware pullets with a 98% accuracy rate. I've been hearing an attempt at crowing but cannot catch one in the act. I have 8 other "pullets" of other breeds purchased at the same time. I'm fairly certain my silkie is a rooster too, but in trying to figure out which one is crowing, I read that Delaware roosters have barred tail feathers and the hens have black tail feathers. They are about 10 weeks old and their tail feathers are not a picture perfect tail! BUT it looks like 3 may have barred tail feathers. The other one has black with white tips. My question is if, at this age, the tail feathers can grow in without the bars? Only one of the 3 has a little bit larger, darker comb. "She" is also larger, always has been, so possibly a little older?

It's best if you can get photos of chickens. Hard to tell from a description.
1f60a.png

I know - sorry, I wanted to add that I forgot to bring my iPhone to my son's house (this is where I play farm lady). I will post tomorrow, hopefully.

All Delaware have barred tails.

It's not uncommon for hatchery quality Delawares to lack barring in their tails, and the description of the Delaware hen's tail is actually as follows: The female Delaware should be 6.5 lbs and should also have a broad and deep body. She, however, should not have barring in her main tail feathers, which should be black with only white lacing on the outer edges. Her tail covert feathers, however, may show barring. https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/delaware

Back
Top Bottom