Denaguard preventative for coop ready chicks

ktpaco

Chirping
Nov 25, 2015
I have an existing flock with mycoplasma gallium (spelling?) MG - so I started a monthly treatment program, and now my 10 to 12 week old chicks are ready for their new bug girl coop. Of course this coop will be located by my existing flock - and with the stress of moving, I am thinking these little ones should also start the preventative denaguard, so I want to know if they are too young. When I move them this weekend I could give them some oxytetracycline till the 14th, and then start them when the adults get theirs. It's starting to get hot - so keeping them hydrated is also a priority, so I want to make sure I transition them with as little stress on them as possible.

Any thoughts on the denaguard, oxytetracycline, or helpful advice for me and these little ones (non-bantam polish chicks and some silkies).

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Have you had a confirmed blood test or necropsy for the MG?
Tell us a little more about your monthly preventative program and your long term goals. Are you planning on selling hatching egg, chicks or selling eggs?

Have you found any information on egg withdrawal timelines when using an antibiotic like Denagard?

There is no cure for the Mycoplasmas and since it it viral, generally antibiotics is used to treat any secondary bacterial infections symptoms that may occur.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...tion-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens/

There is a lot of info on the monthly denaguard preventative on BYC - that's how I found out about it. If I recall correctly - no egg withdrawal.

Yes - Wyandot rooster died, necropsy by state vet showed for +MG, corrodosis, and roundworms. He was with all the others - so if one has it I have to assume all have it.

My chickens are pets - I don't sell the eggs or chickens. I don't breed. Bought appeartly someone's else's infected bird/birds - but I am not the kind of person that would do that to someone else. Have had over $1200 in vet bills on chickens alone - so my goal here is to keep my chickens healthy and staying ahead of the emergency medical issues.

Does that help answer if I can give these young ones denaguard - as I found no answers on that when I found out about Denaguard as a preventation in chickens.

Back
Top Bottom