Derperella, the (weird) Faverolles, & Friends

Quote:
on the bumblefoot- this advise was given me after dealing with a 2 foot bumble on my roo, a year of battling it and this is what is working- wanted to pass it on to anyone that wants non-invasive treatment, its used in england alot, and is working- his left foot was one big scab- it takes time, i am still changing his ducktape poultice a couple times a week, until it is completely gone, but it is half the size it was- the poultice is sugar with a little betadine dribbled on it, put that directly on the scab, tape it up- for the first 3 days, change it out daily and give penG shots

Quote:

You guys are very persuasive! You guys convinced me to get my own Favorelle.... Her name is Talia and she thinks she is a free spirit she is alwase flying out of the coop
barnie.gif

artsyrobin: So sorry to hear about Mary's sister!

I love the Derpleganger!

Re: Bumblefoot.. I actually found similar advice online and tried non-invasive methods first. They didn't work, sadly, and so I did the minor bumblefoot surgery. She had it in her left foot, then her right a few months later, and then a few months after her left had healed beautifully I noticed her limping again. I always know it's bumblefoot because she not only limps but stops eating well. So far her feet are healed very well and she is eating like a pig!

Random trivia tidbit: Did you guys know that Faverolles are named after the town in France where the breed originated (apparently in the vicinity of Faverolles and Houdan, France)? That means that even one Faveolles is still a Faverolles, with the s.
smile.png

Poor Kua has picked the coldest weeks of the winter to molt. Poor thing. I feel so terrible leaving her outdoors, but I know it will help her more out there. She is having an 'explosive' molt-- where large areas of her body are entirely without feathers! At least she is smart-- she goes right into the nest box and cuddles in, where it is the warmest! I remember when my other hens molted explosively, they stood right out in the wind and cold like dummies. Kua also has her fleece 'cape' on until she grows her feathers back in some more. This not only keeps her warmer, but keeps the Evil Queen Lorp and Moa from eating her pinfeathers, which they love to do.

My hen named Bisquick is in mid-molt right now too!!! Snap just stopped molting, and Junior was almost done when she died. :( Bisquick is doing an explosive molt. She doesn't have any feathers on certain areas on her crop!!! But, still she braves the cold and plays outdoors!! But, since they live inside a shed they're protected from wind most of the day

Last edited:
Does she stares at objects?

artsyrobin: So sorry to hear about Mary's sister!

I love the Derpleganger!

Re: Bumblefoot.. I actually found similar advice online and tried non-invasive methods first. They didn't work, sadly, and so I did the minor bumblefoot surgery. She had it in her left foot, then her right a few months later, and then a few months after her left had healed beautifully I noticed her limping again. I always know it's bumblefoot because she not only limps but stops eating well. So far her feet are healed very well and she is eating like a pig!

Random trivia tidbit: Did you guys know that Faverolles are named after the town in France where the breed originated (apparently in the vicinity of Faverolles and Houdan, France)? That means that even one Faveolles is still a Faverolles, with the s.
smile.png

Poor Kua has picked the coldest weeks of the winter to molt. Poor thing. I feel so terrible leaving her outdoors, but I know it will help her more out there. She is having an 'explosive' molt-- where large areas of her body are entirely without feathers! At least she is smart-- she goes right into the nest box and cuddles in, where it is the warmest! I remember when my other hens molted explosively, they stood right out in the wind and cold like dummies. Kua also has her fleece 'cape' on until she grows her feathers back in some more. This not only keeps her warmer, but keeps the Evil Queen Lorp and Moa from eating her pinfeathers, which they love to do.
Yes she will cock her head and stare at random Thorns and such.....
Yes nambroth i did knoiw that! but i still spell it 'favorelle'
roll.png

Seems our birds are once again on the same page with their molts. :rolleyes: Here's Cricket at the beginning of the month (in a week during which there was snow on the ground and we were having temps in the single digits):

She was totally bare over almost her entire body (except for what you can see) with pins coming in everywhere. I was inclined to leave her be, but she started to get 'woozy', so she got a little pink dress to help her keep warm. :) She's grown in feathers and her dress is off now, but it's also been warmer than it was at the beginning of the month.

Back
Top Bottom