Derperella, the (weird) Faverolles, & Friends

Well, I've done it. My buff orp hen has gone broody and I ordered her some salmon faverolles eggs. I just couldn't resist! I may have to take some chicks from her to raise myself
roll.png
i got some like 6-7 weeks ago cute little guys but are they slow to feather?

i got some like 6-7 weeks ago cute little guys but are they slow to feather?

I'm not sure. This will be the first time I have them. If the pecking I receive every time I get in the nest box is any indication, Penny is going to be a good mom. I'm sure Nambroth could tell you how they feather, at least in relation to her other breeds.

Last edited:
In my experience, the two faverolles (Derp and Coho) feathered out at the same rate as the other chicks. They were from a hatchery. They started laying last though, taking at least a full month or more longer to reach point of lay. I have read that well bred birds do feather and mature a bit more slowly than the hatchery birds. And cockerels usually feather much more slowly than pullets.

In my experience, the two faverolles (Derp and Coho) feathered out at the same rate as the other chicks. They were from a hatchery. They started laying last though, taking at least a full month or more longer to reach point of lay. I have read that well bred birds do feather and mature a bit more slowly than the hatchery birds. And cockerels usually feather much more slowly than pullets.

i ordered all females but got a male
hmm.png
i got mine from murray mcmurray. actually got them on a whim
tongue.png
i was about to order some chicks after i was reading reviews and i stumbled upon this thread. and i had to have a couple coho's and derperellas
big_smile.png

Lone faverolle cockerel sunning himself. His mama already gave up on her mama duties, so, he hangs with his siblings from another broody at night and most the day. He's a few weeks younger than them, but they accepted and even shelter him between them at night on the roost. ADORABLE!

Here is Skeeter... Skeeter was the hen that brooded with a serema hen Ekta. Ekta is around the corner. BUT, you can see, 1 faverolle boy, 2 faverolle girls and a funky looking black silkie/fav cross. I had a Roger Jr sneaky boy. I have several of his off spring. I didn't even know he was preforming! I gave him away a few weeks back! LOL Sneaky boy.

Here is Beulah. She went broody right around the time I had to treat her for frost bite and scaly leg. Lost a toe to the frost bite. Scaly leg is cleared up. She had good timing. She was off her feet, and they healed up nice. She's got 2 fav chicks, one 3/4fav/1/4 sussex and then a little black one that I think is part serema.. not sure yet. Fritz the Jerk loves the big girls...

One boy, he's really red though, so I am kinda wondering if he's not a girl, but feathering with that rich mahogany instead of the salmon, but not sure when it crows i'll know... The other one is a girl, and the other one of this trio is not in the pick, but he's feathering out proper.

Last edited:
Hello Derp fans! Sadly I have some disturbing news... Derp is not quite right. I went away for a few days and when I came back she was displaying symptoms of wry neck. As I have Marek's in my flock it might be worse than that though.I don't know yet. I will post more updates on this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...umor-thymus-response-mareks/220#post_11023296

I would like to try to continue using this thread for the good parts of Derp and Friend's stories. Also, by keeping the medical stuff in the "Emergencies/diseases" section it might help other people in the future. It sure has helped me in the past!

Back
Top Bottom