Derperella, the (weird) Faverolles, & Friends

Dino Baby is a handsome young man.

Thank you! He's an amazing rooster. So gentle and polite to his girls and my kids, but I saw him race across our field and throw himself spurs first at a coyote that had grabbed one of his hens. I'll have to get a current picture of him, he just turned one year old.
Deerling, your cochin boy is a cutie. Is he a partridge cochin?
And yeah-- Faverolles always seem to have a very rough looking teenager state!
Thank you! He is a a Partridge Cochin. His saddle feathers, now at a year, are this absolutely amazing fire orange color. It's lovely. I think he probably still isn't as fluffy as a Chochin ought to be, but we love him.

I absolutely adore your Derp avatar, by the way. So do my seven and two year olds :)

Are they hatchery birds? All of the cochins from this line seem to mature slooooooooow! He's also been sitting on his fluff a lot and it's a bit flattened looking.
I trimmed his hocks a little too, because they were just becoming poop paddles, with his inactivity.
Hello again,

Yes they are hatchery. Seems like all they are mostly feathers. Like the cartoon I saw of somebody washing their poodle and when they got it wet it became a hairbow and two eyeballs
big_smile.png
They are just now nine months old and the trio of them rule the yard, terrify the guineas who are twice their size, and hunt down the choicest treats for their ladies. Here is a pic of them at about a month old with the furry feet and puffy butts. I'll admit that I might just be a little smitten with them...handsome boys that they are. Baron is also a wonderfully handsome guy too and I didn't mean anything mean by asking if he was shaved, I just thought he didn't look as feathery on the bottom half and wondered if maybe you had to clip him for medical reasons possibly. I hope i didn't offend him, or you. I still think he is a beautiful young man and am still supremely grateful for his continued good health.
hugs.gif
Poop paddles? LOL

Above -Little sister Pepper with Roody rooster looking on

A good butt fluff shot at two months,Roody -Doo again, Ithink;

The kids "group shot", L to R: Pepper, Early in front, Sammy in back and Roody far right

Hello again,

Yes they are hatchery. Seems like all they are mostly feathers. Like the cartoon I saw of somebody washing their poodle and when they got it wet it became a hairbow and two eyeballs
big_smile.png
They are just now nine months old and the trio of them rule the yard, terrify the guineas who are twice their size, and hunt down the choicest treats for their ladies. Here is a pic of them at about a month old with the furry feet and puffy butts. I'll admit that I might just be a little smitten with them...handsome boys that they are. Baron is also a wonderfully handsome guy too and I didn't mean anything mean by asking if he was shaved, I just thought he didn't look as feathery on the bottom half and wondered if maybe you had to clip him for medical reasons possibly. I hope i didn't offend him, or you. I still think he is a beautiful young man and am still supremely grateful for his continued good health.
hugs.gif
Poop paddles? LOL

They sure are cute!!

I think what you are seeing with Baron is that he's still a big gangly, and skinny under his floof... and, he's been sitting on it and compressing it for about 80% of the time so he doesn't look as full and fluffy as he should. Mildred, who is his age, is a giant wad of fluff!

How is the Baron doing, Nambroth? Any more surprises for you, or just slow, steady progress? We are all waiting for the day that he can rejoin Derp and the other girls!

How is the Baron doing, Nambroth? Any more surprises for you, or just slow, steady progress? We are all waiting for the day that he can rejoin Derp and the other girls!

Slow and steady progress! Sometimes we can't tell if he is the same or if he is better... but never any worse. Sometimes he gets energy legs and has a strange robot-like run across the basement, then he has to sit and recover for an hour! He seems lame and weak, but happy.

Slow and steady progress! Sometimes we can't tell if he is the same or if he is better... but never any worse. Sometimes he gets energy legs and has a strange robot-like run across the basement, then he has to sit and recover for an hour! He seems lame and weak, but happy.
Happy is just about the best we can ask for - for ourselves and for our animals.
big_smile.png
Any chicken that is part of your flock is a very lucky chook indeed!

Back
Top Bottom