Derperella, the (weird) Faverolles, & Friends

aww love derp, I just caught up, so sorry about coho. shame derp and moa didnt get to sort out their differences properly, would have been cool to have derp in charge. I have a polish like derp, like when shes scared she runs in small circles at first with her head staying in the same spot, then she will run away in a large loop and stop when she gets back when she started :)

Wow! I stumbled across this thread a few days ago. Pictures were missing but the stories were perfect! I have two sons, one of whom is adopted and, well, different from his brother...which makes for lots of misunderstandings and hurt feelings. In reading about Derperella, I thought, "This is the story I need to read to my boys!" So I kept reading...especially in the mornings before anyone else is up (and the animals are still asleep too).

This past Saturday, I reached the point of Derp preening Trousers and sighed happily as I put down my phone and started my day. First, the chickens. Then the cats. Next the reptiles and fish. Last the dogs...because they will cause havoc with the other critters if I do them sooner. The very last is the gentle giant Princess the Rottweiller. Only on this morning, she wouldn't wake up. She apparently died peacefully in her sleep. That pretty much threw our day into total chaos. After dealing with her, the boys, and getting what needed to be done, done, I sat down with my phone to lose myself in a little derpiness. And read about Trousers.

My friend finds me weeping and gives me a hug and tells me that Princess had a good life and was loved. I interrupted her, "it's not just Princess! It's Trousers, too!" She was totally bewildered as I tried to explain.

Good grief.

I hastily read the past few days--I am thankful that Bubbles has recovered as much as he has. I am also thankful that someone (artsyrobin?) posted a link to the archived pages with the photos intact so that now I can share this story with my boys--although a big giant picture book would be best (not so subtle hint). Congratulations, Nambroth, on winning the duck stamp! My boys will each get a stamp as soon as it comes out. Meanwhile, I was heartbroken to learn of Kua's and Coho's untimely deaths. You have my sympathy also for the loss of your (human) family member. It never gets easy.

Thank you for sharing Derperella's story.

Wow! I stumbled across this thread a few days ago. Pictures were missing but the stories were perfect! I have two sons, one of whom is adopted and, well, different from his brother...which makes for lots of misunderstandings and hurt feelings. In reading about Derperella, I thought, "This is the story I need to read to my boys!" So I kept reading...especially in the mornings before anyone else is up (and the animals are still asleep too).

This past Saturday, I reached the point of Derp preening Trousers and sighed happily as I put down my phone and started my day. First, the chickens. Then the cats. Next the reptiles and fish. Last the dogs...because they will cause havoc with the other critters if I do them sooner. The very last is the gentle giant Princess the Rottweiller. Only on this morning, she wouldn't wake up. She apparently died peacefully in her sleep. That pretty much threw our day into total chaos. After dealing with her, the boys, and getting what needed to be done, done, I sat down with my phone to lose myself in a little derpiness. And read about Trousers.

My friend finds me weeping and gives me a hug and tells me that Princess had a good life and was loved. I interrupted her, "it's not just Princess! It's Trousers, too!" She was totally bewildered as I tried to explain.

Good grief.

I hastily read the past few days--I am thankful that Bubbles has recovered as much as he has. I am also thankful that someone (artsyrobin?) posted a link to the archived pages with the photos intact so that now I can share this story with my boys--although a big giant picture book would be best (not so subtle hint). Congratulations, Nambroth, on winning the duck stamp! My boys will each get a stamp as soon as it comes out. Meanwhile, I was heartbroken to learn of Kua's and Coho's untimely deaths. You have my sympathy also for the loss of your (human) family member. It never gets easy.

Welcome to the Derp fan club, where we appreciate Derp's unique view of the world. I'm so sorry about the death of Princess. We know what it is like to cry about the loss of other peoples' animals here. In a way it is comforting for me to cry along, because I know others understand how it felt when I lost a feathered or furred friend.

Good grief.

I'm so so very sorry to learn about Princess. My thoughts are with you!

Wow! I never would have thought that Derp's story would have helped anyone or caused such feelings. I'm really touched that sharing it with you has brought you such things.
I'm sorry the old photos are gone... it is sad, I still have them saved to my computer but have no way to put them back into the posts. Perhaps once I get some down time next year from the Duck Stamp (it literally has me working all day every day!!) I need to put together a book about Derperella.

This actually brings me to something I wanted to ask you guys about.

When I named Derperella, I took the word "Derp" which I understood to mean "goofy and silly" in a cartoon character sort of way, and combined it with the name "Cinderella" because she is a princess to us! I have been informed however that the word Derp CAN be considered a slur and is sometimes used to put down people with disabilities. Since that was never my intention, I have been calling her " 'Relly" on social media ( 'relly is a nickname we have for her). If I were to make an actual book I have been really torn over using her full name. I read over and over here on the forum that people share Derp's story with their children, and not only do I NOT want them to learn a slur but I also don't want them to get the impression that any of this is done to mock disability. Thoughts?

Last edited:
It's very difficult talking too. So many words in use that nowadays are considered slurs. I often find myself groping for words because I'm afraid they will be taken the wrong way.

he.gif

pony who was given the name Derpy Hooves by the show's internet following due to her cross-eyed "derpy" expression in the first episode. The name has since been adopted by the crew and Hasbro. Starting with Feeling Pinkie Keen, the show's crew began giving the pony crossed eyes intentionally and later gave her "Where's Waldo" type cameo appearances as a nod to the fans. The character is addressed by Rainbow Dash in The Last Roundup as Derpy, where she speaks for the first time.

source: http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Derpy

This actually brings me to something I wanted to ask you guys about.

When I named Derperella, I took the word "Derp" which I understood to mean "goofy and silly" in a cartoon character sort of way, and combined it with the name "Cinderella" because she is a princess to us! I have been informed however that the word Derp CAN be considered a slur and is sometimes used to put down people with disabilities. Since that was never my intention, I have been calling her " 'Relly" on social media ( 'relly is a nickname we have for her). If I were to make an actual book I have been really torn over using her full name. I read over and over here on the forum that people share Derp's story with their children, and not only do I NOT want them to learn a slur but I also don't want them to get the impression that any of this is done to mock disability. Thoughts?

My boys attend a school with a large population of special needs students, it's a public school but it has a great reputation for having really good, caring teachers and administrators. Consequently, the counselor there has drilled the kids in what is appropriate versus inappropriate language (and my kids are quick to correct their mom). Last night, before introducing Derperella to my boys, I asked the sixth grader what he thought of when he heard the word "Derp" and he laughed. "Derpy squid!" He answered and proceeded to pull up a Minecraft (ugh, the ubiquitous Minecraft) squid cartoon thingy on his phone to show me. I asked if "Derp" was ever used in a hurtful way against other kids and he looked puzzled, "No, everyone is little Derpy sometimes."

I think that your original understanding of derp as meaning silly or goofy is how my kids perceive it also.

Plus, if it's in My Little Pony, then it must be all right. Seriously. It's a very good show for kids.

And it doesn't get on my nerves like most other things they want to watch.

"No, everyone is little Derpy sometimes."

I think that pretty much nails it right there, "derpy" is a new word and wound up going through a bit of growing pains with how people use it, but I think it has stabilized into a word that means something less hurtful than "stupid", it's become something that means goofy, nonsensical, just derpy. The bronies definitely took Derpy Hooves as a kind of mascot, down to people making their own cartoons with her in it, like
(which I laughed at way more than anyone should, by the way).

It's become a common word now, where I often hear someone say "derp!" if they mix something up or misspeak. Everyone knows exactly what they mean by it, and nobody is offended. That doesn't mean that someone won't take issue with it, but I think if you put a disclaimer of sorts, any sensible person will instantly see how much you love and care for Derperella and wouldn't call her mean names, even if she doesn't understand them. ;)

Back
Top Bottom