Desolate Run

mjljohana

In the Brooder
May 24, 2022
When we fenced in our 50’x 50’ chicken run, the ground was luscious with lots of beautiful grass. It’s now the middle of August and there’s not one green blade to be seen. What can we give our chickens to peck at or what can we do that will encourage foraging on dirt?

Attachments

• 2D565BC8-7BB8-4734-8B30-6A56F7284233.jpeg
    2D565BC8-7BB8-4734-8B30-6A56F7284233.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 7
When we fenced in our 50’x 50’ chicken run, the ground was luscious with lots of beautiful grass. It’s now the middle of August and there’s not one green blade to be seen. What can we give our chickens to peck at or what can we do that will encourage foraging on dirt?
I agree @SmiYa0126. Everyone asked me why I put an old tire in my run. I find them hanging out on it all the time! And the bugs collect under it and inside the tire. So they find little treats. I have the base from an old rocking horse. But I'm thinking about that rotting log....just found one of those in the over growth. Now I'm gonna throw that in there too!

I like to imitate the forest floor in my run. A bonus is that after some time you can harvest the lower layers of your run material for your garden. My run was just plain dirt and then on top I’ve been adding wood chips, mulch, straw, bedding from their coop, leaves, pine needles, greens from the garden, chopped up branches from trees I prune, etc. The chickens love this because it gives them lots of stuff to scratch around in and attracts bugs.
You can also check out my thread on putting plants in the chicken run since you have a nice large space: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...icken-run-a-mini-forest-for-chickens.1540569/

Back
Top Bottom