Halevb

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2018
North Carolina
Help! I'm about at my wit's end. Several months ago I went out to the coop and found my 1 year old barred rock hen acting sick. She was having trouble standing up, watery bright green poop, pale comb and wattles, and just generally lethargic. I did some searching on here and immediately separated her from the group and started making her eggs with garlic and giving her water with electrolytes. After several weeks she improved, got her strength and her color back and was acting like her old self. Shortly after her recovery I had a red star get sick with the exact same symptoms, after the same TLC she's now better. However, I have now noticed the original barred rock has lost her color again and is lethargic. A RIR is now sick also and a leghorn only showed symptoms for a day before dying. I have about 80 birds of all differing ages that free range together, but it has only been birds the same age and from the same group (all vaccinated against Marek's Disease and Coccidiosis) I'm at a total loss at what's wrong with my girls. I've read countless articles and cant seem to figure it out. What should I do? Please help!

Sorry for your loss. What did you use for worming? I would still wonder about possible coccidiosis another intestinal infection, such as clostridium perfringens, but a fecal test would be needed. If you lose another promptly refrigerate but not freeze the body in a garbage bag. @Wyorp Rock lives in NC, so she may be able to tell you the nearest location for a necropsy. Here is a link with a list of state vets and poultry labs to call:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Sorry for your loss. What did you use for worming? I would still wonder about possible coccidiosis another intestinal infection, such as clostridium perfringens, but a fecal test would be needed. If you lose another promptly refrigerate but not freeze the body in a garbage bag. @Wyorp Rock lives in NC, so she may be able to tell you the nearest location for a necropsy. Here is a link with a list of state vets and poultry labs to call:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
I used Wazine as wormer, thank you so much. All of the ones that have gotten sick were vaccinated for coccidiosis at the hatchery. Is that still a possibility?

Last edited:
My RIR made it through the night, but when I went to check on her this morning she stood up, had a seizure and died in my arms. I’ve never experienced anything like that

I am sorry that you lost her. When chickens die, they may have a seizure or have some thrashing of the legs or twisting of the neck normally. Can you try to get a necropsy, and then let us know what it showed? Even though they were vaccinated, they are not always foolproof.

Help! I'm about at my wit's end. Several months ago I went out to the coop and found my 1 year old barred rock hen acting sick. She was having trouble standing up, watery bright green poop, pale comb and wattles, and just generally lethargic. I did some searching on here and immediately separated her from the group and started making her eggs with garlic and giving her water with electrolytes. After several weeks she improved, got her strength and her color back and was acting like her old self. Shortly after her recovery I had a red star get sick with the exact same symptoms, after the same TLC she's now better. However, I have now noticed the original barred rock has lost her color again and is lethargic. A RIR is now sick also and a leghorn only showed symptoms for a day before dying. I have about 80 birds of all differing ages that free range together, but it has only been birds the same age and from the same group (all vaccinated against Marek's Disease and Coccidiosis) I'm at a total loss at what's wrong with my girls. I've read countless articles and cant seem to figure it out. What should I do? Please help!
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom