Detailed coop designs/plans

Cirrus12

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
I am, by no stretch of the imagination, handy. But I have tools and I don't want to pay someone $900+ for a coop. What I need are step by step, detailed, instructions on how to build a coop. I know how to follow directions. When I look around for coop plans though, what I keep finding are basically just pictures of finished coops or may be a few from during construction. That's not going to cut it for me. Where can I get plans that are detailed enough for me, preferably for free.

Basically what you are building is a shed with a few features built in. Get a book that shows you the details of how to build a shed. Lowe’s and Home Depot often sell those books but if you want free, talk to your librarian. Your library should have books detailing how to build a shed, including details on some of the techniques. If the book you want is not there, the librarian should be able to order it for you. That’s part of what your tax dollars are going for, paying the librarian to help you with stuff like this. You’ve already paid for it, use the service.

I got mine at thegardencoop.Com

3 styles to choose from
I also bought the Garden Coop plan from http://www.thegardencoop.com/
I used the plans to study the build instructions and techniques, then design my own coop to suit my needs. The plans are very detailed, very easy to understand.
I would add more ventilation and window openings to the coop part though, regardless of your local climate.

I also bought the Garden Coop plan from http://www.thegardencoop.com/
I used the plans to study the build instructions and techniques, then design my own coop to suit my needs. The plans are very detailed, very easy to understand.
I would add more ventilation and window openings to the coop part though, regardless of your local climate.
How much did you wind up paying for all the materials? How difficult was it to build it?

@Cirrus12, I spent $300ish, having recd free roofing and some 2x4s from a friend.

ETA I am a strong 40 yr old mom, grew up on a working farm so I don't get discouraged easily. The mesh fabric was the hardest part because it's awkward. I did get help on the roof but I pounded every nail, sawed every board myself. Took 6 weeks, taking long breaks.

Last edited:
We're building the Garden Coop as well. We're maybe halfway done. It's going well. I'd say the plans are well worth what he charges for them. He took the time to think about how everything should be designed. I've been doing a lot of reading on coop design since we started building and there really isn't anything I would change in retrospect.

I want to say we've spent around $600? It's hard to keep track because it's been multiple Home Depot runs here and there. We could have planned better because he provides a parts list, we just didn't. :)

Quote:
My coop cost over $800 based on my preliminary estimates, but we did not follow the Garden Coop plan. I saved most of the receipts, but afraid to add them up because there were a lot more misc. expenses and add-on afterwards.

The Garden Coop plan has a detailed list of materials so you can price it out based on what you have already and the local material costs.

"Wichita Cabin Coop" is another popular design that provides detail build instructions. Google it.

I gathered a bunch of free stuff (roof panels, feeders/waterers, pallets) from Craigslist to build mine but also got very lucky because I found a hardware store that was closing. I was able to get some supplies for 30-80% off original cost.

If you're patient, you can always find good stuff to use for a coop, heck, sometimes you can find a free coop you can modify instead of building from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom