Deterring Hawk?

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
Almost 7 weeks ago my BSL Polly disappeared without a trace. I couldn't figure out what it was until a red tailed hawk started coming around. I've had them around a few times before, but I just kept the chickens in and they went away because they couldn't get a free meal. HOWEVER, this guy has been hanging around for WEEKS. So I'm thinking this guy is the culprit. RIP Polly. :( He has been visiting more regularly the past couple days. I see him perched on tree, and telephone poles. I have gotten VERY close glimpses of him. My policemen (AKA the crows.) are not running him off like they have other hawks, though I see them try very regularly. That being said, I would like some tips on how I can try to get him to GO AWAY!!! It is really very tiring and frightening to try and keep one step ahead of a hawk. Plus, my chickens aren't getting near as much ranging time. He is just biding his time...and it is freaking me out. I do have a rooster, but the hawk is a biggin, and it is hard for the rooster to have all 17 hens in one place. (if not impossible) THANK YOU for suggestions.

Last edited:
A hawk will only take prey it can carry. So if your chickens are fully grown there shouldn't be a problem.

Generally thats true but not always. They've flown down, stunned my big ones and eaten them where they lay. I've tried all sorts of deterrents but haven't lost one in the pens with heavy duty knotted netting over the top. Free range around here lately is like serving them up on a plate.

You will need to keep your birds in a covered pen until that hawk gives up and moves on. I had one turn up today, fortunately when my son was present, so it left without a chicken. The birds will be on lockdown again in their covered pen, maybe for a few weeks. Mary

I read in another thread that some have had great luck using old dvds tied in trees to deter hawks. Something about the way the light flashes on them supposedly scares them off.

Chickens run under bushes when they see hawks, plant some bushes on all corners and where they like to hang out.

I have bushes and spruce trees; lots of natural cover near the coop; probably has helped many times to save birds. I still have losses at times to hawks, and one horrible day to a daytime fox. Mary

I have had full grown hens taken out by red tailed hawks. One hen was stunned and injured, but recovered. The other three were killed and somewhat eaten, lots of damage to the head.

IMHO, If she disappeared without a trace, I would blame a different predator like a fox or coyote. A full grown hen would be hard for a hawk to carry away, so they would likely eat what they can and leave the carcass.

Last edited:
I got a good picture of Mr. Hawk. I have to admit, he is gorgeous. I'm not sure what type he is. I'll post the picture later.

If he doesn't go away soon, I'll take my chances and let my chickens out - they are miserable being cooped up. I do have trees, and a couple bushes, and a deck. I am assuming the hawk won't land and then attack a chicken? Or will it?

Back
Top Bottom