Deterring Hawk?

Quote: Well thats not comforting!
lol.png
I saw Mr. Hawk get a kill in a nearby field so he is going to be staying whether or not he gets chicken dinner.

Well thats not comforting!
lol.png
I saw Mr. Hawk get a kill in a nearby field so he is going to be staying whether or not he gets chicken dinner.
Sorry...chances are, your hawk would much rather hunt small animals in that field than tackle one of your chickens.
Does that make you feel better?

Quote: They can and will attack from the ground, but prefer to strike from the air
And they WILL kill birds too big to carry.
They just eat it there, or until they can detach a piece small enough to carry

Quote: That's ok, I know it's true! That does make me feel better, thanks. :) I will post the pic tomorrow, I can't figure out what he is. And I guess its not just my smartness (HA!) that is keeping him away from my chickens - he must have a better food source. We have PLENTY of rabbits. (I found at least 6 rabbit nests in just one of our 5 yards...)

Here s/he is. As he flew away, s/he has what I would call "cookies and cream".

Last edited:
I have hawks around. So I put 2 large geese in with my chickens. When mr hawk comes around the geese go crazy honking and caring on and flapping wings. the chickens take notice and when the geese head for the smaller inclosed lot with wire over top chickens follow. I also have a few trees in the lot chickens run in all head that way my maine lot is 92x36 open top my smaller lot is 16x20 coverd. A older gentleman told me of this and also said would help with mice. So far few mice as I also set 2 traps in my feed area inside my coop.

I got a good picture of Mr. Hawk. I have to admit, he is gorgeous. I'm not sure what type he is. I'll post the picture later.

If he doesn't go away soon, I'll take my chances and let my chickens out - they are miserable being cooped up. I do have trees, and a couple bushes, and a deck. I am assuming the hawk won't land and then attack a chicken? Or will it?

Hawks are relentless creatures, its not rare that they will try to grab a small one right in front you. And once a hawk knows you have chickens, he isn't going away, hawks will wait for the perfect time and bam. just like that. the only solution is to get a covered run with hawk netting. I learned the hard way.

I've let them out several times. The first time I think I saw the hawk, not 100% sure. He swooped up right against the patio door. He looked pretty small. I still have 17 chickens. I haven't seen the hawk for a couple days, and have seen more of my crows. I DID see a Bald Eagle, maybe 5 days ago.

I'm thinking what I saw was a juvenile Bald Eagle - we live close to a lake/river so we get visits from them every so often.

Back
Top Bottom