Devastated…

We have a terrible raccoon problem as well. The only exterminator I could find gave me some useful info though: they follow scent trails and if something bad happens to one on a trail they release a hormone that others can smell which warns them to stay away. A live trap is useful if you have the means to dispatch the animal once you catch it. If i do catch one I will be leaving his corpse as a warning to others. :sick:sick

I'm so sorry for your loss and your heartbreak.

I'm new to chicken keeping myself so I can't say I personally have enough coop design experience to share, but maybe you could describe (or provide photos of) your coop set up for others to help identify weak points to consider. And what type of predators you have in your area.

I'm so sorry for your loss and your heartbreak.

I'm new to chicken keeping myself so I can't say I personally have enough coop design experience to share, but maybe you could describe (or provide photos of) your coop set up for others to help identify weak points to consider. And what type of predators you have in your area.
This coop we had them in was their temporary coop before we could integrate them with our older girls. It’s pretty makeshift, but suits it’s needs. I know it’s not the most secure thing ever, but we’d had no trouble with the base. The predator dug underneath. We live on a green belt and golf course so we have many predators. Raccoons, foxes, possums, many many hawks (we’ve had hawk attacks in the past), and bobcats, though not seen super often. I will definitely look into electric wire. Does anyone have any threads or articles to share on the subject?

I'll stay tuned to any electric wire information as well. I might consider adding that to mine.

For me, so far anyway, the hardware cloth that we installed as a predator apron around the coop and the run has worked out so far for us. On 5 acres here in north florida we have had raccoons, possums, feral cats, the occasional stray dog, a bobcat and a coyote so far. Lots of hawks as well.

For the coop, we dug down a few inches to lay the hardware cloth apron. For the run, we just laid the hardware cloth along the ground - all air stapled to the coop and run. I've yet to come up with a plan for integrating new chicks, but based on the amount of critter activity we have here I would say it's a good bet I'll need at least the same amount of ground protection wherever they go. This thought gets reinforced every time I see one of my dogs dig a hole deep enough for me to break an ankle in less than a minute.

Can you use wiring and still let your chickens out? I’m not very familiar with the concept…
Yes, you can.
Even if a chicken does get shocked, it will learn not to go near the wires.
I would play it safe and get the electric wiring - there are some good kits on amazon that even have solar panels.
You can also control when to turn the shock on and off, and how severe the shock will be (in most kits). So during the day when your chickens are out, you can turn it off. At night just remember to turn it on.

Back
Top Bottom