Devastated-Hawkeye is Dead..

You mean his lack of sexual prowess, LOL. He was such a laid-back fella, I thought I'd never get a fertile egg! He did more protecting than mating, the perfect rooster. Eventually, he got his act together, and Lexie was his favorite for a long time, but he still wasn't really all that hard on any of them. It will take Zane awhile to mature into the guy his father was; at least, I hope he'll get there.

No, Zane is definitely breeding, just not many will submit to him yet. My Buff Brahma is his favorite, followed by Charlotte, and he gets Meg on occasion, but none of the Barred Rocks will submit to him yet. In fact, they seemed completely enraged that he'd dare even look in their direction. My silly Speckled Sussex, Nelda, the absolute bottom of the pecking order, even chases him all over, LOL. He likes the PoufyHead Sisters, but they run too fast for him most of the time. Now, there's no one to rescue them since Hawkeye is gone. I just won't be able to count on fertile Barred Rock eggs unless Zane pushes his weight around and insists on taking his rightful place as head of the flock now.

Last edited:
:aww I am SO sorry, Cyn... my heart pains for you.
hit.gif

He was a gentle fatherly-type rooster with all the youngsters and the chicks. I can't imagine a better one, ever. Hawkeye is exactly what I envisioned when I went searching for a Barred Rock rooster to look out for my girls, maybe not in conformation, because he was just a utility quality BR, but in every other way, he was exceptional, absolutely the perfect rooster people dream about having in their flock.

Back
Top Bottom