Developing my own breed

My question is what other traits do you feel a good dual purpose bird needs?
"Dual purpose" typically means good for both meat production and egg laying.
So I would pay attention to how many eggs each hen lays, and how fast each bird grows.

The best egg layers do not go broody (because a broody hen is not laying eggs during that time.) I don't know whether you would want broodiness-- it probably depends on whether you want to use incubators or not.

"Dual purpose" typically means good for both meat production and egg laying.
So I would pay attention to how many eggs each hen lays, and how fast each bird grows.

The best egg layers do not go broody (because a broody hen is not laying eggs during that time.) I don't know whether you would want broodiness-- it probably depends on whether you want to use incubators or not.
Good thoughts. Thanks for your input.
These hens lay around 4-5 eggs per week (few in the winter). A few hens produce enough for me and several friends. At this time I have 8 laying and in seven days I've collected 36.
I only eat < 6 per week. They are good meat birds. Yes, I do want hens that will go broody occasionally.
Not the best of layers but sufficient?

These hens lay around 4-5 eggs per week (few in the winter).
You might be able to breed for better winter laying, if you can identify some hens that lay better than the rest during the winter.

I don't think that conflicts with any of the other traits you've said you want.

You might be able to breed for better winter laying, if you can identify some hens that lay better than the rest during the winter.

I don't think that conflicts with any of the other traits you've said you want.
Good idea. Maybe I could could collect those winter eggs and incubate them. I could keep them in the brooder longer and I would have to keep a heat lamp on them all winter and spring but it might be worth it.

Good idea. Maybe I could could collect those winter eggs and incubate them. I could keep them in the brooder longer and I would have to keep a heat lamp on them all winter and spring but it might be worth it.
You might not need a heat lamp for all of that time. Give them a big brooder (6+ feet in one direction), and put the heat lamp in a corner. When you see they are no longer using the lamp, you can take it out. I'm guessing you will be able to remove the lamp by 8 weeks or so, even in the nastiest weather, but you will know for sure when you see their behavior.

Or if you can identify which hens are laying during the winter, you could hatch eggs from them during the next spring or summer (if you don't want to fuss with chicks in cold weather.)

Something as simple as checking each hen's vent & pubic bones, then putting colored bands on their legs, could tell which ones are laying and which are not. If they are all laying but at different rates, just checking their butts won't be accurate enough to tell which are the better or worse layers at that time of year.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Do you have any updates
I posted these pics elsewhere but I'll post them again in case there are some who haven't seen them.
ancestor.jpeg
IMG_1618.jpeg
spangled hen#2.jpeg
spangled hens.jpeg
spangled flock.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom