Developing my own breed

Cool. I had plans for a high volume light blue egg layer before we got Mareks. That put the brakes on things for a while. We are all recovered now but I am not taking in any outside birds right now because if bird flu. Maybe someday. Good luck with your breed.

My goal is a bird that is table ready at 20 weeks, but unlike most "heritage breeds" is well muscled despite spending most of its life on pasture will little to no supplemental feed.
Best of luck. If you don't mind a little advice? I would encourage you to be persistent. It's an effort intensive process. Keep your goal in mind and try not to get sidetracked. Don't add too much new blood unless you see that your original genetics are falling short of what you want to accomplish then be very choosey with any additions.
Another pic.

Attachments

• decendant #1.jpeg
    decendant #1.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 11
I have a question and I would like to hear opinions from all interested BYCer's. In reference to the chickens I'm developing.
My last years hatch resulted in chickens with a barred feather pattern ranging from a "lemon" to orange color. They all have yellow legs, no straight combs, lay brown eggs and have a decent size body. I did cull heavily for various minor undesirable traits and processed these. They were a good table bird.
And maybe from the Buckeye influence? are excellent foragers. I'm hoping they breed true and I do believe they will. My question is what other traits do you feel a good dual purpose bird needs?

Back
Top Bottom