Dew claws came off?

Unrelated, when we took her outside today, she started eating dirt. Anyone know what that's all about? It wasn't grit, just yard dirt. It's only the second time that we've taken her outside, because the first time was only a few days after we took her in, so she wasn't used to us or the harness, so she was not comfortable at all. Now that she's adopted us back, and it's getting warmer, I wanted to try again so she can come with us on car rides and stuff :D

Did she eat a lot, or just a few nibbles?

I see mine eating dirt too. I don't know if there are minerals or something they are seeking out or they just like the taste. Mud is another real special treat here. Might offer her some grit in a bowl close to her feed. She'll eat it when she needs it. She is gorgeous. ❤

I started feeding layer just in case she is still laying age 😁 I also wasn't sure if maybe there would be extra nutrients in it that would help her new feathers come in better. She quickly regrew and is covered in new and pinfeathers, so I guess it didn't hurt one way or another :thumbsup
I wouldn’t feed layer feed unless it is springtime (or almost springtime) and laying season, or the duck is definitely laying, otherwise there is too much calcium for her. If it’s not spring and she is not laying, you could feed her a grower type feed for ducks something with around 15% protein, or if it’s close to laying season or laying season but she isn’t laying, offer her both in separate bowls and let her choose. Or offer grower feed but make some oyster shell available too and then switch to layer feed if eggs start actually appearing.

I have also just rescued a dumped duck who is moulting feathers. It’s not the right time of her for an annual moult here so I am thinking it is probably due to inappropriate diet (ie bread and worse still, mouldy bread).

I believe there are some mites that can also cause feather loss, which aren’t usually a problem in ducks due to all the time they spend in water, but if she’s been left at a local park with no decent care or nutrition, possibly she has also gotten some sort of parasite infection due to the poor diet lowering her resistance. So you cold always try some ivermectin injectable a few drops under her wing (not actually injected just the injectable strength) to make sure she has no mites or worms.

Back
Top Bottom