Dewlap Toulouse geese

They quite Beautiful and Elegant . Thanks for posting pictures.
smile.png

I really like the big toulouse! After a cross country move, I am starting over with them and have four that are now almost six months old. They are such characters!

There beautiful ....I have three production toulouse also ....hatched this spring......I am hoping for one male ...

Have a silly question for you ...I also have two embden geese the same age ...the geese usually hang around together ..dont know really how many females/males I have yet but is there a chance that they could cross breed ? .....should I separate them come early spring ...if I want to hatch some out ......I am a newbie....

Hi there,
Yes they definitely could cross breed. I separate my birds around the beginning of December. Usually that is the time when the youngsters are choosing their partners. My older birds usually dont stray from one another. I am not saying that does not happen because it does but usually my older birds stick together.

Thank you gofasterstripe we really love the breed..

Addicted2Quack: What other birds do you have?

I breed and raise Buckeyes which I have a pretty good size flock. Presently, I have 31 adult Buckeyes and 26 growing chicks. The chicks are indoors in our mud-room because it is getting colder by the day, of course. I also recently obtained some Guinea eggs which my hens hatched in August. There are 14 of them running around still with several mothering hens (1 solid white one, 10 Pearl and 3 Pied).

I have some LF OE Games (2 cockerels and 3 pullets), an OEG (Brown-Red) bantam hen I have had for years and an old Buff Orpington hen I've also had for years. I plan to use the Game hens as broodies.

One question I specifically have about my Toulouse is, "Will my Gander be a mate to all three of my females or just one or two?" They seem to be a close knit group. I can't tell he favors one over the other and all three are inseparable & the Gander definitely decides when and where they all go. It seems like the family I bought them from indicated they were a mated group. Is that possible?

Another question I have in general about Toulouse is: I know the difference between the Dewlap Toulouse and the Production Toulouse, but is there a difference between an "Exhibition Toulouse" and the "Dewlap Toulouse?" The ones I see at the shows all have a Dewlap & are great big, large birds, but I don't understand the distinction between "Exhibition" and "Dewlap." Thanks in advance.​

:
Quote:
I breed and raise Buckeyes which I have a pretty good size flock. Presently, I have 31 adult Buckeyes and 26 growing chicks. The chicks are indoors in our mud-room because it is getting colder by the day, of course. I also recently obtained some Guinea eggs which my hens hatched in August. There are 14 of them running around still with several mothering hens (1 solid white one, 10 Pearl and 3 Pied).

I have some LF OE Games (2 cockerels and 3 pullets), an OEG (Brown-Red) bantam hen I have had for years and an old Buff Orpington hen I've also had for years. I plan to use the Game hens as broodies.

One question I specifically have about my Toulouse is, "Will my Gander be a mate to all three of my females or just one or two?" They seem to be a close knit group. I can't tell he favors one over the other and all three are inseparable & the Gander definitely decides when and where they all go. It seems like the family I bought them from indicated they were a mated group. Is that possible?

Another question I have in general about Toulouse is: I know the difference between the Dewlap Toulouse and the Production Toulouse, but is there a difference between an "Exhibition Toulouse" and the "Dewlap Toulouse?" The ones I see at the shows all have a Dewlap & are great big, large birds, but I don't understand the distinction between "Exhibition" and "Dewlap." Thanks in advance.

Ok so here is what I know...this is just my experience and opinion. I am basing my knowledge on my 4h years and my husband and I have been raising geese for about 16 years now. I have had a gander mate two hens before. I have a Gander that has had three hens following him around for two years now but, of the eggs I collected last year only two were always fertile. The other clearly came from the same hen (shape was the same on all of her eggs). But was never fertile. I have not heard yet of a gander taking on all three. I think conditions would have to be just right. I think my males are too lazy to tackle that..
big_smile.png
Ok about the exhibition question...There are some GIANTS out there that are absolutely beautiful! The problem being when they get that big they are usually only good for the show. They get so big that they can not reproduce. My birds originally came from one of the best breeders in the nation. But of the 50 birds raised he might have only picked 2 to show and use for breeding. Long story short there is a difference..the larger the bird the harder breeding may be. I hope this helps..

Quote:

Another question I have in general about Toulouse is: I know the difference between the Dewlap Toulouse and the Production Toulouse, but is there a difference between an "Exhibition Toulouse" and the "Dewlap Toulouse?" The ones I see at the shows all have a Dewlap & are great big, large birds, but I don't understand the distinction between "Exhibition" and "Dewlap." Thanks in advance.

BTW you have beautiful chickens...wishing I had more room..
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom