Sad time at our farm

Iain Utah

Crowing
12 Years
Dec 17, 2011
After suffering too many duck losses recently, 2 nights ago I lost 3 geese, including a grey dewlap boy I hatched in 2012. While we set up cameras and started patrolling, I avoided locking them up given it is breeding season (so lots of fighting if locked up in small area) and there are girls on nests. But last night, my husband caught the coyote in the act of killing one of my buff dewlap girls at 3:15am next to barn. It also got one other buff gander and two ducks last night. Both buffs were also hatched and hand-raised in 2012 While we plan to lock everyone up tonight, I'm still worried we will suffer more losses until we get the coyote.

I was already sad to see my numbers dwindling due to loss from age/natural causes. but with these fresh losses, I am concerned that before I know it, I will not have any dewlaps left (currently have 7 buffs and 5 greys). I have 3 grey girls, but all are done laying. I only have two buff girls left and one is done laying. I did get two fresh eggs from my other buff. Hoping to get another egg from her before I fire up my bator later this week.

But I figured I'd also put the word out that if anyone is looking to rehome dewlaps or have hatching eggs this late in the season, please let me know.

After suffering too many duck losses recently, 2 nights ago I lost 3 geese, including a grey dewlap boy I hatched in 2012. While we set up cameras and started patrolling, I avoided locking them up given it is breeding season (so lots of fighting if locked up in small area) and there are girls on nests. But last night, my husband caught the coyote in the act of killing one of my buff dewlap girls at 3:15am next to barn. It also got one other buff gander and two ducks last night. Both buffs were also hatched and hand-raised in 2012 While we plan to lock everyone up tonight, I'm still worried we will suffer more losses until we get the coyote.

I was already sad to see my numbers dwindling due to loss from age/natural causes. but with these fresh losses, I am concerned that before I know it, I will not have any dewlaps left (currently have 7 buffs and 5 greys). I have 3 grey girls, but all are done laying. I only have two buff girls left and one is done laying. I did get two fresh eggs from my other buff. Hoping to get another egg from her before I fire up my bator later this week.

But I figured I'd also put the word out that if anyone is looking to rehome dewlaps or have hatching eggs this late in the season, please let me know.
Can you build a big pen for them?

So sorry for your loss. I hope your dh got that coyote. Maybe since you have a barn you can make stalls so you can separate the ones that tend to fight? This time of year with coyote and fox and many other predators having to feed their young it isn't safe for us to leave our birds out after dark I know mine would have been gone long ago.

Thanks for the kind words. My husband was not comfortable shooting with everyone out but chased it for a few hundred yards. He plans to sleep in pasture tonight with trap and gun after giving neighbors a heads up about situation. I'm working on the plan to get everyone locked up and separated into groups to minimize fighting. The worst part will be forcing girls off nests if I cannot figure out how to safely fence them in.

We've allowed our birds to free range for 12 years with the usual 1-2 per year lock-down when predators become an issue. But prior to this week losing 5 geese, I've only lost 5 geese total in 12 years.

Thanks for the kind words. My husband was not comfortable shooting with everyone out but chased it for a few hundred yards. He plans to sleep in pasture tonight with trap and gun after giving neighbors a heads up about situation. I'm working on the plan to get everyone locked up and separated into groups to minimize fighting. The worst part will be forcing girls off nests if I cannot figure out how to safely fence them in.

We've allowed our birds to free range for 12 years with the usual 1-2 per year lock-down when predators become an issue. But prior to this week losing 5 geese, I've only lost 5 geese total in 12 years.
I’m so sorry!

It was a quiet night at the farm. Everyone was locked up. We were able to seal up three nests to keep broody geese/chickens safe and forced one goose off since I knew she wasn't going to hatch anything. That goose was most upset but got over it fairly easily. Cameras set up everywhere. Everyone was safe and I slept well. Reviewing the footage this morning, there was no sign of any predators. I expect the coyote will return tonight, so we will keep locking them up until we either get her or she moves on (assuming it is a female with pups).

It was a quiet night at the farm. Everyone was locked up. We were able to seal up three nests to keep broody geese/chickens safe and forced one goose off since I knew she wasn't going to hatch anything. That goose was most upset but got over it fairly easily. Cameras set up everywhere. Everyone was safe and I slept well. Reviewing the footage this morning, there was no sign of any predators. I expect the coyote will return tonight, so we will keep locking them up until we either get her or she moves on (assuming it is a female with pups).
My heart broke when I read this. I am so sorry for your loss. So nice that you let the birds live in the environment they want to live in. I do have extra dewlaps this year but there African. wish I could help.

Back
Top Bottom