Deworming and other things(?) for Bantams

joymo

Chirping
Nov 1, 2022
Hawaii
Hello! My hens(2 OEGBs) are healthy and don't show any signs of illness. However, I've just learned that I should be deworming them regularly for prevention of infestation. They are nearly a year old and have never had any treatments whatsoever. I've started my research but I'm pretty confused, especially because all of the medicines referenced are treatments for large species (goats, cow, horse, etc.)

Are there any dewormers specific for poultry? My hens are bantams so I'm worried about proper dosage. I've also come across some suggestions that advise multiple medicines as well: Valbrazen & Wazine.

For some background - my hens are semi-free range and tolerate their space with the wild birds in the area who like to visit with them. They forage around an enclosed yard and will eat small slugs, earthworms, beetles, etc that they find. They are fed an organic diet with pellets, dried herbs and flowers, grains, fresh vegetables and fruit. Their coop, with a mixed bedding of pine pellets, pine shavings and hay is cleaned daily. I dust them and their coop with DE occasionally.

I just want to be directed because I am going down a rabbit hole of "do this - not that" posts that have me going in circles. Tell me what to buy and how to administer. What is suggested, what should I avoid? Are there any holistic options that any one stands by? I want my gals to stay healthy and don't wish to see worms squirming out of their eyes, mouths or butts. Ever. I also don't know what other worries I should have and prepare for in a medi-kit. I live on an island so my resources are very limited in the case of an emergency. đź«Ł

I also have new additions of chicks in a brooder - when do I start to deworm them? Thanks so much to my fellow chicken-loving readers!

Last edited:
You do not need to deworm as a prevention. Any surviving parasites become resistant to dewormers leading to infestations that are nearly impossible to cure.

If you are concerned about internal parasites I recommend taking a stool sample to a vet for a fecal float test. Then you will know if and what type to treat for.

You do not need to deworm as a prevention. Any surviving parasites become resistant to dewormers leading to infestations that are nearly impossible to cure.

If you are concerned about internal parasites I recommend taking a stool sample to a vet for a fecal float test. Then you will know if and what type to treat for.

This is great news!

It is accurate that all chickens have worms, all the time? And their biology just keeps things under control?

No not true. Some can have worms but exhibit no symptoms. Not every chicken is guaranteed to have worms though.
In my many years (decades actually) of keepsing chickens I have had float tests run 5 or 6 times and only once had a positive result. That result was coccidiosis which is a whole different thing than worms.

I don't recommend treating unless you KNOW what you are treating for. The only way to know with worms is a float test as it's the eggs that are passed in the droppings. Those eggs are microscopic.

Last edited:
This is great news!

It is accurate that all chickens have worms, all the time? And their biology just keeps things under control?
Most chickens have a few worms but it's easy for the numbers to overwhelm a birds system and drain its nutrients or blood and kill them.
There are no holistic dewormers that are effective.
De is a respiratory irritant for you and your birds, I don't recommend it. It doesn't do much to control mites.

Dogs and cats are wormed monthly as a preventative.
How often you worm birds depends on your soil conditions. Warm moist or wet soil requires frequent worming. Cold/cool mountainous less frequently, same with hot desert like soil/sand.

I worm my birds monthly and I use Valbazen, and have used other wormers but Valbazen is my go to wormer. I've been using it for years and it is very effective eliminating all types of poultry roundworms.

Worms literally suck the life out of their host. Then the immune system is compromised and birds get sick, same with dogs and cats.
It sounds like you've heard about eyeworm infections in poultry in Hawaii.

No not true. Some can have worms but exhibit no symptoms. Not every chicken is guaranteed to have worms though.
In my many years (decades actually) of keepsing chickens I have had float tests run 5 or 6 times and only once had a positive result. That result was coccidiosis which is a whole different thing than worms.

I don't recommend treating unless you KNOW what you are treating for. The only way to know with worms is a float test as it's the eggs that are passed in he droppings. Those eggs are microscopic.

Thank you, I like the advice to not treat without knowledge!

Most chickens have a few worms but it's easy for the numbers to overwhelm a birds system and drain its nutrients or blood and kill them.
There are no holistic dewormers that are effective.
De is a respiratory irritant for you and your birds, I don't recommend it. It doesn't do much to control mites.

Thank you for your response. I know that DE is a bit iffy, with some who swear by it and others who have found it ineffective. I honestly haven't had mites to treat and use it about once a month or every two as a preventative measure. Hard to say if we've been mite-less due to the use or just coop maintenance and dust baths.

I suppose I could skip the DE and see what happens.

Since we're on the topic - do you have suggestions for treating mites if they make an appearance?

Dogs and cats are wormed monthly as a preventative.
How often you worm birds depends on your soil conditions. Warm moist or wet soil requires frequent worming. Cold/cool mountainous less frequently, same with hot desert like soil/sand.

I worm my birds monthly and I use Valbazen, and have used other wormers but Valbazen is my go to wormer. I've been using it for years and it is very effective eliminating all types of poultry roundworms.

Worms literally suck the life out of their host. Then the immune system is compromised and birds get sick, same with dogs and cats.
It sounds like you've heard about eyeworm infections in poultry in Hawaii.

I see. The soil that my gals get to is under mulch so it's usually pretty moist and crawly.

Do you have your flock fecal tested at all? I just called a local vet and I think I'll start with that. I'm not keen on medicating if it's not necessary.

And yes - that eyeworm infection is the stuff of nightmares! Thank you for your response!

Thank you for your response. I know that DE is a bit iffy, with some who swear by it and others who have found it ineffective. I honestly haven't had mites to treat and use it about once a month or every two as a preventative measure. Hard to say if we've been mite-less due to the use or just coop maintenance and dust baths.

I suppose I could skip the DE and see what happens.

Since we're on the topic - do you have suggestions for treating mites if they make an appearance?
Permethrine based poultry dust or horse spray. If they show up, clean out the coop fully then treat the coop and get entirely new bedding and litter.

Back
Top Bottom