Deworming chickens

chicachic

Songster
11 Years
Dec 6, 2009
Williamstown, South Jersey
We have a hen with a lump in her crop. Thought is was just impacted and attempted the throw- up technoque. This hen is eating, pooping,and generally acting normal. Vet agreed it was impacted and attempted to dislodge/ throw uo technique.
so, she got some papaya pieces, pooped a wet poo and there were WORMS in the poo. We read that worms can cause a digestive backup with lresulting impacted crop— anyone familiar? Vet recomended a panacur dewormer and digestive aid. Anyone into “ natural “ deworming using various vege seeds, eg, pumpkin, cucumber, zucchini,, etc? I hate to use poison and throw away 14 days of eggs!!
Obviously, food is passing or she wouldn’t be having normal ( except for the wormy one) poops

Fenbendazole is the answer for most intestinal parasites of chickens, and the possible egg withdrawal time depends on the dosage and duration of treatment. that depends on what parasites being treated. Did you have a fecal run at the vet's? What are you treating?
Never mind spending time with pumpkin seeds; nice treats, but not useful here.
Mary

I'd rather toss 14 days of eggs than let my birds live infested with internal parasites.

Use Fenbendazole or Valbazen. You will need weights for dosage.

Fenbendazole dosage for large roundworms is 0.25 ml per pound given orally. Repeat in 10 days.

Valbazen dosage is 1/4 ml for bantams, 1/2 ml for a regular 5 pound grown chicken, and 3/4 for an extra large bird. Give it once and then again in 10 days.

Where do we get fennendazole? The vet recommended panacur! And a digestive aid along with doses. My son took the hen and his wife spoke to her regarding meds. What do you think? I also thought all chickens should get it. The vet wouldn’t commit because she didnt examine the flock?!

We have a hen with a lump in her crop. Thought is was just impacted and attempted the throw- up technoque. This hen is eating, pooping,and generally acting normal. Vet agreed it was impacted and attempted to dislodge/ throw uo technique.
so, she got some papaya pieces, pooped a wet poo and there were WORMS in the poo. We read that worms can cause a digestive backup with lresulting impacted crop— anyone familiar? Vet recomended a panacur dewormer and digestive aid. Anyone into “ natural “ deworming using various vege seeds, eg, pumpkin, cucumber, zucchini,, etc? I hate to use poison and throw away 14 days of eggs!!
Obviously, food is passing or she wouldn’t be having normal ( except for the wormy one) poops
Natural remedies don’t work. If they did, no ones chickens would ever get worms. Definitely listen to the above advice.

So do we leave her isolated, put her back in with the flock, wait for the 5 day treatment to be over? If i put her i. With the flock, do I need to watch out for treated worms poop
I would treat the entire flock. There’s a 99% chance everyone else has worms too, since they pick them up from foraging. This way you can keep them all together. Just remember there is a 2 week egg withdrawal period - some people swear by it and some choose to ignore.

Back
Top Bottom