deworming chickens????????????????

I worm once per year with fenbendazole...brand names are Panacur and SafeGuard. It's easy to find at feed stores or online at JeffersPet.com (under livestock) I buy the small bottle of 10% liquid suspension for goats. And I dose it as 1 ml per 1 liter of water for 5 days straight. I dispose of the eggs from the first day until two weeks after the last dose.

As a biochemist I don't see anything in pumpkin seeds, ACV, or DE that would limit the growth and spread of parasites.

Also, I live in an area where any parasites are very rare (high desert). I worm once per year. But if I had any suspicions about stools I would take it to a vet for a fecal float and treat if necessary.

Quote:
There are no stupid questions. Not all chickens get worms, some get them from bacteria in the soil or insects they eat others get them from feces either in their food or water. We had one hen that had gotten gape worm from a bacteria that lives in the intestine of earth worms, but the other 3 didn't at all. It just takes due diligence in taking care of your animals and being aware of their living conditions. It's no different than having dogs and cats.

Last edited:
Quote:
There are no stupid questions. Not all chickens get worms, some get them from bacteria in the soil or insects they eat others get them from feces either in their food or water. We had one hen that had gotten gape worm from a bacteria that lives in the intestine of earth worms, but the other 3 didn't at all. It just takes due diligence in taking care of your animals and being aware of their living conditions. It's no different than having dogs and cats.

The DE and ACV work, so why poison the birds?

one schmotz came and bought my roo cubalaya I had in confinement because of worms,and he said he uses a tablespoon of turpentine in their water for worms.

I loooked at him in puzzled amazement
barnie.gif
and told him I use ACV. He said turpentine acts quicker.

Now he maybe right,or wrong.One thing for sure I wont drink turpentine water,but will drink acv. What does this have to do with my birds? I wont give them turpentine..period.

Now Jeckle, our mutt cukoo miran, had gape worms two years ago.I followed a old timely meathod
old.gif
that uses a duck or turkey feather and a smidgen of turpentine on it and jam it down its throat and give it a turn or three and pull it out.I gave her some acv to relieve any irratation and taste.

She survived and we still have her today.
thumbsup.gif

Your comments.
caf.gif

Quote:

DE and ACV will not work on worms.
DE doesn't even work internally.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:

DE and ACV will not work on worms.
DE doesn't even work internally.

Chris

X2

The day someone posts a study confirming using de as a wormer is effective is the day I will toss my safeguard. As for acv, its a great pick me up and digestive health booster, I use it myself once a week. Using acv as a wormer is like using me replacing my birth control with a multi-vitamin.

Don't get me wrong, I want to eat and live as chemical free as possible, I don plan on looking into the pumpkin seed method to find data supporting its use as a natural wormer, until I find that I will continue on as I have.

Back
Top Bottom