Deworming with Praziquantel following Fenbendazole : delay needed ?

ManueB

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Sep 15, 2021
Daluis, 06 France
Hello,
I have tapeworms in my flock. I have identified five chickens that have them and two or three others that I haven't identified.
I have followed my vet's prescription and did a flock deworming on Flubendazole in September. That did nothing.
Still on her prescription, I have used Panacur 2.5 % ( fenbendazole) on an individual chicken for five days, as she seemed a bit under. This did not kill the tapeworms either. Treatment ended on Sunday.

I have received worm-out gel by mail which I ordered abroad since, Praziquantel+ oxfendazole.
I found indication of dosage on @Kiki 's post for tapeworms.

My question is twofolds on whether I should give it to her right away, or wait a bit.
1. in case of unfortunate interaction with the fenbendazole that I stopped Sunday ?

2. This hen is also taking antibiotics for Bumblefoot now. (Azythromycin). The vet said it didn't pose a problem to give her the fenbendazole at the same time ; any idea whether it's the same for the Praziquantel?

If any one has sufficient expertise on dewormers to have a clue, I would really appreciate it. Praziquantel is never used as a dewormer in my country for chickens so I can't ask my vet about it.

Thank you both so much for the help, I really appreciate it ! I’ll give her the dewormer tomorrow night when I tend to her foot.

After three days, I have not seen a single live tapeworm segment in Lilly’s stools. It seems praziquantel worked (even though I totally forgot I was supposed to give it on an empty stomach).
I will give her another dose in a week.
She seemed a bit off on Saturday and Sunday, either due to the worms dying or to all those meds, but today she was better.
IMG_20231113_130012.jpg

I also wanted to apologize for the confusion I made between the two of you. I was sure it was Kiki who started the post on tapeworms.

And on a side note, the worm-out gel is the worse smelling product I have ever given to a chicken. I am quite sure half of mine would not drink it in water, even though that is how it's meant to be used.

Back
Top Bottom