Should a quail have runny poop after deworming? (Panacur / Fenbendazole) (Please help, I can't afford another vet visit!)

MrsJelly

Hatching
Mar 7, 2023
One of my Coturnix quail became very sick last week, he wasn't eating or drinking. The vet came me a dewormer (Panacur / Fenbendazole) and told me to treat both my quail.
The sick quail died that night. The remaining one is feeling a bit skinny and doing large green poops. I gave her .4ml of the dewormer each day for five days. Her last dose was on Monday and now (Wednesday) she's still doing loads of greenish runny poops - her run is a mess and I keep having to clean everything. She seems to be eating and drinking OK, gobbles up a few mealworm treats a day.
She has quail feed and eggshell for grit. I've also given her extra Diatomaceous Earth in her dust bath to help clean her vent and because I noticed a bald patch and thought mites might be getting to her. At the weekend I gave her a cooked chicken egg yolk thinking that might help fatten her up a bit and she ate all of that.
She also seems skittish and jumpy, but that could easily be because she's lonely because the other quail has died.

Is it normal for them to have diarrhoea for a couple of days after deworming or should I consult the vet again? Or try something else? The vet visit last week cost me £260 (plus £30 transport to get there) so I'm nervous to go again. The tiny bottle of Panacur cost £186 and when I got home I saw it was £20 for a big bottle online.

Your veterinary doctor charges way too much. 50£ is what it should cost… (the visit and fecal exam).
It’s normal for them to have strange poop during and a bit after treatment. It can also be that your bird shits more because it no longer has worms to eat all of its food.

Did the vet give a diagnosis? I also have/had a way too expensive vet and am switching to a new one/

How much does the quail weigh? Can you post picture of the Panacur that you vet prescribed?
I just weighed her today and she is 284g. The vet weighed Wren, the sicker quail, and told me to give him 0.03ml each day but said to give Karen 0.04 as I told her she was significantly bigger.
I don't know if I'm being really thick and missing something but the bottle says 100ml x3 on it and so does the invoice which lists the Panacur as £186. But there's no way this little bottle has 100ml in it - see photos!

Attachments

• 20230503_143349.jpg
    20230503_143349.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230503_141251.jpg
    20230503_141251.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230503_143341.jpg
    20230503_143341.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 7
Did the vet give a diagnosis? I also have/had a way too expensive vet and am switching to a new one/
No she didn't, this was my first time ever going to a vet. As well as the Panacur she gave me an antibiotic to give to the sicker quail, and gave him an injection of Duphalyte (because he was very dehydrated) and also gave me some powdered food to beak feed him.

She said if they don't improve that I should bring a dropping sample in for testing but I have no idea what that will cost!

It is potentially relevant to add that I'm in London so everything is just 2x more expensive here. I've seen services for online vet consultations so I might do that next time.

I just weighed her today and she is 284g. The vet weighed Wren, the sicker quail, and told me to give him 0.03ml each day but said to give Karen 0.04 as I told her she was significantly bigger.
I don't know if I'm being really thick and missing something but the bottle says 100ml x3 on it and so does the invoice which lists the Panacur as £186. But there's no way this little bottle has 100ml in it - see photos!

Just to clarify, in your original post, you said you gave her 0.4mL every day for 5 days, but it looks like the dose was supposed to be 0.04mL (which is 10x less). Are you sure you were measuring the dose correctly?

Also, that looks like a 15mL bottle. They may have made a mistake on the invoice, I suggest calling to ask about it. Some practices have minimum charges, though, so the price for 15mL or 100mL may be the same. I also suggest asking to leave a message to speak with the doctor about her diarrhea. You shouldn't need to bring her back in for a simple advice call to ask "Is this a normal side effect of this medication?"

Back
Top Bottom