Deworming questions

TriciaTKB

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2023
Hello Everyone!
I posted about a sick hen about a week ago (Mon Jan 29th). I took a fecal sample to the vet that day and they diagnosed capillaria worms. He gave me five syringes of Panacur to give her for five days and said she would be good after that.
They told me I really didn't need to treat my other 13 girls....well, I did anyway due to information I received from some of you here on the Backyard forum. I started my other 13 girls on Safe Guard .25 per pound on Wednesday, Jan 31...they finished their five doses two days ago (Sunday). They are doing very well now. They are active, great appetites, etc

My question is....should I do a second dose? I have seen many articles saying to do a second dose but wanted to check here with all of you.

If a second dose is warranted, is it ok to use Safeguard again?
When should I start the second dose?
Is the second dose also for five days?

Thank you all for your help!!
Tricia

There is no need for a second round, unless you see symptoms again. I believe the prepatent period (time from picking them up to infection) is 1-2 months (if that is inaccurate hopefully someone will correct me). The fenbendazole (Safeguard/Panacur) dose is given for 5 days in a row. You can also use albendazole (Valbazen) and with that you can dose twice 10 days apart.
Albendazole dosing: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...s-for-poultry-waterfowl-and-game-birds.75490/

This source below I think was written before albendazole was on the market:

capillari.jpg

CapillariA.jpg

There is no need for a second round, unless you see symptoms again. I believe the prepatent period (time from picking them up to infection) is 1-2 months (if that is inaccurate hopefully someone will correct me). The fenbendazole (Safeguard/Panacur) dose is given for 5 days in a row. You can also use albendazole (Valbazen) and with that you can dose twice 10 days apart.
Albendazole dosing: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...s-for-poultry-waterfowl-and-game-birds.75490/

This source below I think was written before albendazole was on the market:

View attachment 3741947
View attachment 3741949
Thank you so much!! I will not do a second round.

Back
Top Bottom