Deworming....

Chris-

You mean to say unfiltered, unpasteurized ACV, with Mother, is not a miracle?????????????

Around here you cold be stoned for such opinions.

I havent a clue about deworming my chickens so I have some questions....
How old should your chickens be before deworming?
How often should you deworm?
What do you use to deworm?
Can you still eat the chickens eggs while deworming?
Thanks!
smile.png

EDITED TO ADD:
I just thought of some other questions...
Do you have to deworm your chickens? and What is the worst case sonario if you dont deworm?

Sorry about all the questions.
hide.gif
-I wouldn't deworm any chicken that isn't close to being full grown, but that is just me.
-You should only deworm if you have a worm problem and have seen multiple worms in the droppings.
-I use Wazine to deworm my chickens.
-I do not think that it is okay to eat the eggs until at least 2 weeks after they have been wormed. What the chickens eat also goes into the eggs. Would you want to consume Wazine? I wouldn't. It is not made for people.
-You do not have to deworm your chickens. A chicken will rarely die from having the worms. If a chicken is healthy, it will be able to carry a worm load just fine. All wildlife have worms and they have been surviving that way for as long as they have existed. The problem starts when a bird's system is compromised and it becomes overwhelmed with worms. In the wild this is just part of natural selection and is what has made it so that only the strongest, best suited birds will live to mate (this is very important to keep species healthy and suited to their environments). I've never had a bird die from too many worms but this is partly because I cull to get the healthiest, strongest birds that can handle a worm load. Pumpkin is said to be a natural dewormer and if you are worried about worms then you should feed the birds pumpkin guts as a treat. I am about to get my chickens some pumpkin myself.

To the part in bold,
Apple Cider Vinegar does noting to internal parasites. If we think about it Vinegar has a pH of 2.5 (the same as Coke) now normal average stomach acid has 2.0 pH and more acidic than any Vinegar.

Also keep in mind that like humans poultry have a Normal Blood pH level, by lowering the Blood pH you are lowering the birds ability to fight off health problems.

Chris
I agree, ACV does nothing to worms. ACV is however good for chicken's digestive tracts and can therefore help them to be better able to handle worms.

At least two of my 5 week old bantam chicks have diarrhea (which is really gross when you are feathering them out in your walk in shower). Is this a sign of worms? I used probiotics in their water the way the Tractor Supply folks and my guru told me to.
I am so in love with my babies I built them their own little coop and then slept with my door open (after de-predator-ing it) in case they needed me. Good thing my bedroom door opens onto the screen porch with them right outside. My guru told me not to put them in with the big chickens (of which I bought twelve plus 5 Peking ducklings no one else wanted, yesterday).

I have 6 beautiful rhode island reds and one recently starting showing signs of worms. I seperated her from the rest of the flock and started deworming all of them with a product called Strike III. My question is for how long do I need to feed them the dewormer? The bag doesn't say and my feed store didn't know. Also, how long do I need to keep patient zero seperate from the rest of the flock?

What is Strike 111? Ingredients??? If it's labeled with instructions for chickens, you should have the answers already. If there aren't any instructions, how did you guess what to do? I'll be interested in follow-up here. What kind of worms do your birds have, by the way? Mary

Hygrmyacin B is the main ingredient. I'm not sure exactly what type of worms but she lost weight, stopped laying and her comb became pale and shruken and dry...and she had explosive watery diarrhea. The guy at the feed store said it's likely worms bc they are over a year old and have never been dewormed

I just googled it, although the name is a big hint; it's an aminoglycoside antibiotic, similar to gentocin. One of the drugs commonly fed to commercial chickens to 'promote growth' and the subject of today's big webpage report on antibiotics in commercial chickens. It is not a wormer! And I wouldn't want to eat those eggs, and have no idea of a withdrawal period. Mary

I think I read somewhere someone asking if the eggs of hens being dewormed could be hatched. I'd like to know the answer to this because if they can, the eggs wouldn't be wasted.

Also, I read that the eggs, during the deworming, can be fed back to the chickens but my question is, wouldn't that make the length of time for not eating eggs longer because the eggs treated with the dewormer would be putting dewormer back into the chicken?

LOL Was that clear as mud? Thanks.

Yes, feeding those eggs back to the chickens defeats the purpose of the withdrawal period; it's lengthened to the time after the last egg is fed to them. There's no official withdrawal period for any wormer except piprizine, because all the other products aren't approved for use here. Personally, I use ivermectin and toss the eggs for about a week, because it seems right to me. Mary

Back
Top Bottom