DH Has a Pocket Pooper (pics)

hit.gif

hugs.gif
for both of you.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

She is still with us. I dosed her with some very old phenobarbitol tabs I had (1/2 tab dissolved in water and administered with an eyedropper) which would either kill her or help with the pain. Boy, did she sleep! She's a strong little fighter, though, so we decided to do one more try on that joint and wrapped it with medical tape right on the skin. Gosh, I hate not to do just one more thing and see if there is a chance for her.

Zane was injured just after we lost his father, Hawkeye. He was about 20 weeks old or so and fell from the roost, being harrassed by the hens. Must have landed on his leg in a bad way. It was a long road of therapy and drugs to fight infection in his hock joint and he almost died. In the end, he cannot use that leg; the toes don't bend of have feeling in them at all and the leg is permanently in a bent position. He hops on his good leg and we have to take him in and out of his special cage we built for him so he can get sunshine and fresh air. A couple of the hens like him and we allow them to visit him. He has great color and crows daily and seems happy enough in his limited life. Broodies trust him around their babies, even ones who really didn't know Zane when he could walk. There are several threads about Zane on here. Here he is watching out for Shadow and her babies, then a pic from before he was hurt:
DCP_3094.jpg

DCP_9701.jpg

Is there any kind of anti-inflammatory that is poultry safe? Ibuprofin? I think I read that steroids are not ok but the inflammation is sure to be pulling on the tendon which won't allow it to heal. The chick is darling. James Herriot (My hero!) told of a few animals that slept for 48 hours and their bodies were able to recover. I think the chick might be too young for 48 hrs without food and water but a nice looooooooooong nap wouldn't hurt. Best of luck to you all!

Speck, I sincerely hope you can help but it really doesn't look good. I had exact same problem. The other chicks picked on it, ran over it, etc. I kept it with me and it would peep it's head off when I wasn't holding it. It was in so much pain I'm sure. Anyway I put it down after 2 days. Broke my heart!

Good luck, I know you'll make a right decision....I'm sure the chick will help you make it.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom