DH Has a Pocket Pooper (pics)

We did do the straw splint, Germaine. It was having a hard time with it, then we used some clear plastic tubing, which she functioned with even worse. Will watch some TV and think about this one some more....

Rats, I had hoped it might help. The only other thing I can think of is either Ace wrap or nylon stocking wrapped tight but not too tight so that there was flexibility. You would also have to wrap it up and around her little body as to support the leg.

Kind of like when someone has a hand wrapped. You have to go up and around the wrist and inbetween the thumb.

I am sorry you are having this dilema. She is such a sweetheart. And you and your hubby are wonderful for doing as much as you have. If you do have to put her down at least you know you have tried very hard to help her and done your best for her. Thats all you can do.

Quote:
I have Yard Full O' Rocks Delaware babies and Bargain babies hatching as we speak... Think Pocket Pooper could out do them?
wink.png

Last edited:
No idea how she'd do with a newly hatched baby. (You'll love the Delawares, I bet. They have such spunk and heart!) Will see if there is anything else we can think of with this baby, maybe that chick chair on the website. If she is just in too much pain, we'll have to do what's best for her. I'll let you guys know what we do with the little sweetie.

Cynthia, I will keep all my fingers & toes crossed for the little Pocket Pooper (and her very special mom & dad) also say a special chicken prayer for her!
jumpy.gif
When you have time...post some new photos of her!

Dear Speckled Hen:

In March, I got four one day olds chicks. They came from two different sources. My Jersey Giant came from a feed store through Ideal. This chick and her mates were trucked through Arizona and came through an ice storm. When the feed store picked them up at the post office, there were thirty dead chicks in the box. Jessie was one of the survivors.

For the first few days everything at home seemed OK. Then Jessie started falling over and getting knock over by the others. At first I thought maybe it was some type of a disease. Then I realized that it might be a neurological injury due to being exposure to the cold weather.

I agonized over having to put her to sleep…or as you say “culling”. I was a veterinary technician for many years and even with this insight, I could not bring myself to kill her. Every day she would hold her own eating and pushing back at the others in her small pen.

Then it came time to introduce the little ones to the out of doors. She and the others were so thrilled to be outside and she still was falling head over teakettle in her enthusiasm every time they ran outside. They all started eating and testing all of the weeds in my yard. At first, I thought it was just my imagination, but Jessie seemed to be getting better. As the days went on she got stronger, she was climbing, running and chest bumping and NOT falling over.

I personally think that there was some magic potion in those weeds. Maybe being such a big breed of bird, maybe she just needed the exercise. Whatever it was, I am so glad that I never culled her. She is now a big beautiful bird and a wonderful egg layer. As big as she is, she jumps up into my lap to sit and purrs for me.

Sometimes you just have to listen with your heart….and life finds a way.
frow.gif

Last edited:
Dr. Cynthia,
I read the link- especially the section on "Fix Slipped Hock Tendon" - did you try the stretch mentioned in the second bullet? Chicken chiropractics! You could have a brand new profession! That and those little chick chairs or a variation of thndrdancr's sling???? Possible? If anyone can do it, it's you and Tom!

Superchick is still with us- getting more alert and active, I wish I could find a site like the leg problem one for chicken intestinal worries!

We did try the stretching thing, but couldnt tell that it worked. However, I had an idea this morning while trying to find something different to splint the leg with...the rubber finger grip from one of those fat, fancy ballpoint pens! It's very soft and shouldn't rub its delicate skin. We split it to get it over the leg and it's put on with medical tape. DH cut out a pocket from one of his ragged flannel shirts, leaving extra fabric, stretched it across the top of a plastic Maxwell House can to hang it, and we're going to figure out how to do the food and water thing. Right now, it's in DH's shirt pocket that he's wearing, just chattering away. Ate scrambled eggs with Daddy, too, LOL. This is such a little fighter that we're trying again. Gave it aspirin in water with an eyedropper, as well as AviaCharge water.

Back
Top Bottom