Diarrhea and sneezing?

Masonjars

Chirping
Mar 5, 2023
Hi all, sorry to keep spamming questions, but I can’t find any past posts that are quite what I’m seeing and you’ve all been so helpful. I don’t know how many of these things are related, so I’m just going to list everything.

It’s been rainy so about a week ago, under their rain enclosure in the spot where they had dug out to dust bathe, I put a big flat basin with a mix of sand, ash, and a little DE. All they have done is eat the sand mixture and pooped all over it. Not a single one has dust bathed that I have seen, and it’s been quite muddy so they haven’t been able to dust bathe any other way.

Yesterday and today, I’ve noticed almost/all of my Rocks have diarrhea (RIRs seem to be having totally normal poops). I only see it when I go to close them up at night, and it’s all different colors — clear mucus-y, yellow/beige, green, black. No red in any of them thankfully, yesterday or today, but some of them are smelly (others not). Also, the Rocks seem to be itchy, to the point of pulling out some smaller feathers, and a couple are sneezing and wiping their beaks on wood and the edge of their coop repeatedly. No discharge, redness, swelling, or anything, and they’re all eating and acting normal. Our allergies have also been awful the last few days, could this just be environmental mold or something? They have a dirt run and the coop is lined with big pine shavings, haven’t had any dust problems before. They’re about 7 weeks old. Thanks!

Photos of the poop?

Sounds like what you are seeing is Cecal poop which is a looser stinky sticky poop that is seen about once out of every 8-10 regular poops.

Sneezing can be caused by something in the environment. DE can be an irritant, the ash could be too.
Getting food/water in the nostrils can also cause some sneezing. Take note of when you notice the sneezing the most - what have they been doing - dust bathing, digging, eating/drinking?

I put ash in my runs too, the birds like to eat the charred wood. Sand, they may be trying to pick up small pieces of rock suitable for grit. Personally, I provide purchased Poultry Grit (Crushed Granite) free choice for mine. They will pick up pieces when they need it.

Thanks! It was too dark to get pics of the poop, I’ll update if possible. They were sneezing after eating, I’d be thrilled if that’s all it is! They’re on crumbles, so it’s everywhere of course… 😂

Back
Top Bottom