Diarrhea, Lethargy, Sudden Death?

sierra123

Chirping
Sep 7, 2021
Hi,

I have 11 golden comets (4 years old) and know that they're on borrowed time now. I just have a hunch something contagious and possibly preventable/treatable is going on. They are really healthy birds and were doing fine up until the last few weeks.

Things I've noticed and deemed normal due to age:
-Decreased egg production
-Thinner shells
-Someone has been laying an egg with calcium deposits daily (see pics attached). I know this breed is prone to issues at this age so it didn't raise too many alarms.
-Feather loss only around butt and the oil gland on back (multiple have this pattern, we don't have a rooster)

They have plenty of grit/oyster shells, eat a layer feed, & were
wormed and treated with corrid in Nov 2023 (after a float test and the appropriate meds for that type of worm).

I've chalked most of this up to old age but they're now getting the SAME symptoms one-by-one in the matter of days and I want to save them if I can.

I had one die recently after slowing down over 3 days. I brought her to the vet, X ray showed calcium/inflammation around reproductive tract. Lungs and respiratory system looked good, GI tract normal, no mites/lice despite feather loss. I was given Bactrim to give her but she died that day. Vet said unlikely to be avian flu and probably nothing contagious based on the X-Ray. She thought maybe an egg had dropped outside the tract and become infected. There was no clear egg formed on the X-Ray. She said the grayness in the X-Ray could also be an inflamed liver, as it was in the same area and hard to tell. So liver problems weren't ruled out. I thought the egg thing sounded most likely since she'd been straining that area in her last few days. I initially thought she was egg bound but took her to the vet when she didn't respond to epsom soaks.

The next day, another hen started with the same thing. Stopped eating, diarrhea, straining/pushing but no egg. I figured I had these meds, symptoms look the same, they're all the same breed/lifestyle/age so maybe she's having the same issue? I started giving her the antibiotics 2 days ago knowing shes old and may go anyways, so this is a last ditch. She hasn't improved.

A third hen started with the same symptoms today. She has had diarrhea for about a week. But now she's losing her appetite, etc.

I sent a fecal test to the lab today and should hear back in 48 hours. I started corrid two days ago since there's no egg withdrawal and I figured just incase, with the diarrhea.

What is weird is there's clearly this inflammation going on near the lower half but we dont know what the cause is. It almost looks like the inflammation is spreading from the inside of that area and outwards to the skin hence the feather loss. And if vet's diagnosis is correct, why are they all getting sick at the same time if this was a one-off egg rupture situation? What am I missing?

Thank you!!

Attachments

• 20240418_173551.jpg
    20240418_173551.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 67
  • 20240418_173542.jpg
    20240418_173542.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240418_173537.jpg
    20240418_173537.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 3
High production layers will usually have a level of persistent inflammation in their reproductive tracts.

What protein % is their feed? Is there any bullying going on?

Some mites live in the coop structure and come out late at night to feed. Are your hens losing feathers or are they broken off? Any red skin? Go out with a flashlight as late as you possibly can and check each hen around their bellies and vents. Check under the roosts as well, around any cracks or crevasses.

Definitely check for mites.

Also check all their crops at night to make sure everyone has eaten and then check again first thing in the morning to make sure they are empty.

Cut out treats for the time being and let them eat their regular feed. I would personally give them the grower over the layer right now or mix both together so that all feeders have the same food.

What size space do they have? Make sure there are enough feeding and watering stations for everyone to eat without getting hassled. Also make sure there are plenty of enrichment objects so they can get away when chased and no one is getting backed into any corners.

You can bathe or trim messy bottom feathers.

There is no treatment or cure for lymphoid leukosis and can only be diagnosed at necropsy so if you lose any you may consider sending the body in to see if that’s the case.

I wonder if the ill ones are succumbing to LL and then the others are sensing the weakness and that’s where the bullying and feather plucking are coming into play.

Keep a closed flock for now — no newbies coming in and none of yours going out — until you can confirm the diagnosis. It’s not always a death sentence and LL carrying chickens can still live well.

This is my go to, it's a 1 and done, no need to repeat treatment. I recommend mixing up about 3 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket and giving everyone a dip(as long as your weather is nice, if it's not a spray bottle is fine, be sure to hit the vent, under the wings, and back of the neck well), then take all the bedding out of your coop and spray it down with the mixture as well (I have a 2 gallon sprayer I use for this)
Thank you! Glad it works for you. I was going to spray them at night. How important is it to get the skin vs the feathers? Do I just spray vent, under wings, behind neck, and bald spots? Or do I move feathers out of the way and make sure I'm getting the skin?

I was going to take all hay and bedding out and dispose of it in a black trash bag, spray down the coop and dirt (there's no bottom on the coop, just dirt) and put fresh bedding in, and new hay in the boxes.

Thank you! Glad it works for you. I was going to spray them at night. How important is it to get the skin vs the feathers? Do I just spray vent, under wings, behind neck, and bald spots? Or do I move feathers out of the way and make sure I'm getting the skin?

I was going to take all hay and bedding out and dispose of it in a black trash bag, spray down the coop and dirt (there's no bottom on the coop, just dirt) and put fresh bedding in, and new hay in the boxes.
You want it to make contact with the skin. Spray them liberally!

This story just keeps unfolding... separate from the tube feeding chicken, I noticed another chicken with a HUGE booty issue. I had noticed it a few days ago (my reference of diarrhea) but regrettably I ignored it between the mites, the previously sick one I lost, and tube feeding the other every 12 hours. Finally got around to looking at her today and it isn't just diarrhea. I think it's a prolapse & vent gleet. Gave her an Epsom soak and trimmed feathers today, then dried and sprayed with Vetericyn. I also gave yogurt by hand and probiotic/electrolyte mix in one of the waterers. I need to read up on how to address the prolapse, but I'm wondering if you all have any thoughts on these worms that came out from her soak. As I washed away all the poo, I noticed live worms floating around in the water. They definitely came from her vent area.

What is going on here? Is this flystrike in addition to a prolapse/vent gleet?

Thank you all so much for the help so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240425_001406_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240425_001406_Messages.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240425_001420_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240425_001420_Messages.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom