Diary of a Crossbeak: Support for Special Needs Chickens and their Keepers

Pics
I am going to admit up front that I have not gone back far enough to get the whole stories. I am going to leave the following notes, and you can do with them what you want.

I began fermenting feed because of my cross beak. The others kept calling her back to the coop when I fed her separate wet food. It was so much easier giving everyone fermented feed, and knowing she could eat when she wanted since I kept it full all day.
FF also gives the cross beak guaranteed water consumption.
Deep waterers and feed dishes make it easier for them.
A cross beak at hatch is a genetic problem. Never let them breed. The person that had a cross beak and twisted leg should never use the eggs from that/those hen(s) again.
A cross beak needs to be trimmed or files with dog nail clippers or a dremil tool/pedi paws.

Okay, those are my thoughts.

I am going to admit up front that I have not gone back far enough to get the whole stories. I am going to leave the following notes, and you can do with them what you want.

I began fermenting feed because of my cross beak. The others kept calling her back to the coop when I fed her separate wet food. It was so much easier giving everyone fermented feed, and knowing she could eat when she wanted since I kept it full all day.
FF also gives the cross beak guaranteed water consumption.
Deep waterers and feed dishes make it easier for them.
A cross beak at hatch is a genetic problem. Never let them breed. The person that had a cross beak and twisted leg should never use the eggs from that/those hen(s) again.
A cross beak needs to be trimmed or files with dog nail clippers or a dremil tool/pedi paws.

Okay, those are my thoughts.
good basic common sense with crossbeaks- my girl ginger 'wears' her feed, one thing i did discover tragically is do't let it be too wet of feed or they can aspirate on it, one crossbeak i had did that- so now i keep it more sticky

My little cross beak chick died so that's why I am not on this forum anymore:( The little thing was my favorite, so sweet. She would follow me around. I called her my duck chick... I miss my little Scarlett, but at least she isn't suffering anymore
sad.png

My little cross beak chick died so that's why I am not on this forum anymore:( The little thing was my favorite, so sweet. She would follow me around. I called her my duck chick... I miss my little Scarlett, but at least she isn't suffering anymore
sad.png
Im sure Scarlett had a great life with you. Good for you that you took good and loving care of her.

Me, I have a crossbeak quail. Poor guy has other possibly related issues. I had to operate on his head and removed a pea-sized tumor. He is doing well though, spunky as can be. He stands in HIS food dish and growls at any other quail who comes near while he is eating.

After operation

Immediately post OP

Tumor removed

Before operation, you can see the bump on his head as well as his crossbeak.

Cinnamon is loving life as a house chicken. We love her just as much. She's such a wonderfully cool part of our family. Here she is with one of our cats.

I have a week old blue amerecuana chick with cross beak. I think it's minor but I have read it will get worse and worse with age? I don't want to tube feed, I don't have time for all that work for one chicken when I have a whole farm. But I don't want to take her back to the breeder and have her be culled. If she ends up being a top I'll eat him I guess. I just don't know what to do. Maybe someone local will want her as a pet if she is a girl? Any chance she can have a normal chicken life without special care??

I have 1 with a slight cross beak. She doesn't gain weight as well with the general population, but she was lonely the last time I separated her. She does eat and drink but doesn't always get the same amount of food b/c she is pushed away. Not sure what to do.

Back
Top Bottom