Diary of a Crossbeak: Support for Special Needs Chickens and their Keepers

Pics
The resemblance to my 15 week old black Ameraucana pullet, Polly, is striking. Polly's crossbeak started as a "falcon/parrot" type beak at around 4 weeks of age. It has now progressed to curving and starting to cross over so her mouth is open all the time.

I have not interceded at all yet. I think she is having more trouble eating and drinking now. I took her out separately to drink today and it seemed to be difficult. She continued to do it for a long time; even after I returned her to the flock, she came back to the waterer for more sips. I think she has trouble scooping up enough in her beak. It seems to help if the water is elevated above her head so it doesn't drip out when she lifts her head to swallow. She may be having trouble eating pellets as well. I can tell after she's been drinking because her beard/muff is soaked.

I am curious to know if trimming will make much of a difference. I hope none of her normal siblings carry the defect as well.
I don't know, I've never filed hers, can't catch her to do it anyway...we have finally given her an actual name, she's called Dum Dum...lol...she's a little over 6 mths old now, her beak is still the same as this photo and she's actually quite fat. Same size as the rest of the hens, and actually bigger than 2 of them. She is also quite high up in the pecking order, and lays a beautiful blue egg almost every day with a nice hard shell. Her beak has never closed, it's been open since she hatched. Her whole bottom jaw is deformed, as well as her skull, and her vision is off. She's not the brightest hen in the bunch which is why she's called Dum Dum. Her beard is always matted and never smooth because she's a messy drinker/eater but she doesn't seem to have much trouble with either. Only thing she seems to have trouble with is eating table treats like bread, but if I give her a whole slice she does pretty good. She'll never be bred because of her deformity, but she'll be our pet her whole life...lol

I don't know, I've never filed hers, can't catch her to do it anyway...we have finally given her an actual name, she's called Dum Dum...lol...she's a little over 6 mths old now, her beak is still the same as this photo and she's actually quite fat. Same size as the rest of the hens, and actually bigger than 2 of them. She is also quite high up in the pecking order, and lays a beautiful blue egg almost every day with a nice hard shell. Her beak has never closed, it's been open since she hatched. Her whole bottom jaw is deformed, as well as her skull, and her vision is off. She's not the brightest hen in the bunch which is why she's called Dum Dum. Her beard is always matted and never smooth because she's a messy drinker/eater but she doesn't seem to have much trouble with either. Only thing she seems to have trouble with is eating table treats like bread, but if I give her a whole slice she does pretty good. She'll never be bred because of her deformity, but she'll be our pet her whole life...lol

Thank you!

I think Polly will be okay. Just keeping an eye on her right now. Your story encourages me to think that she might be able to lead a normal life even when she's fully grown. She looks exactly like your pullet, and she is also a 'true' Ameraucana. Her three sisters (2 blacks, 1 blue) show no hints of the problem.

I notice she ignores scraps. I wonder if it's difficult to tear them apart, like you mentioned. She's not as much of a vigorous eater as the others, and treats are devoured before she musters the confidence to approach.

She will remain in my laying flock with the sex-links, EEs, and bantams, separate from the breeding Ameraucana pen.

Greetings, all!
I have just finished reading every post in this thread, after discovering that my Poppy, a 4-week-old Americauna has developed a crossed beak. It is noticeably worsening by the day.
I grew up on a farm, and my father hatched chicks for a living. On his farm, this chick would have been culled, immediately. While I do not shy away from my responsibility to my animals, and embrace their role as food, I was so unprepared by the possibility of having to end a life so young.
Poppy is eating and growing at the same rate as the others, but as her problem worsens, I suspect she will meet the same fate as all the others from this thread.
As I can determine, there are only 2 chickens on this thread who have survived to adulthood, despite the intervention of their loving humans. That does not provide much encouragement to me as I move forward in my decision-making process.
I am here, not so much for advice (the good folks here have provided so much amazing information, and I thank you all heartily for it), but for the support aspect. I love the respect each situation has been shown, both in the case of folks who allowed life to continue for as long as it could, as well as those who chose to end the suffering of their chicks.
I have spoken to the feed store I bought the chicks from, and they have offered assistance in the form of refund, or replacement, and also to end Poppy's life, humanely, for me, should I find myself incapable of it. The chicken expert from the store tells me that this isn't at all uncommon, and in fact 1 in 100 is the usual rate for this breed.
I am just so sad.
hit.gif

I have always raised Australorps and have never come across this problem with any of them, even ones we bred ourselves.
Thank you, again, to everyone who shared their stories and the wonderful advice for folks wishing to prolong the lives of these special birds.

Greetings, all!
I have just finished reading every post in this thread, after discovering that my Poppy, a 4-week-old Americauna has developed a crossed beak. It is noticeably worsening by the day.
I grew up on a farm, and my father hatched chicks for a living. On his farm, this chick would have been culled, immediately. While I do not shy away from my responsibility to my animals, and embrace their role as food, I was so unprepared by the possibility of having to end a life so young.
Poppy is eating and growing at the same rate as the others, but as her problem worsens, I suspect she will meet the same fate as all the others from this thread.
As I can determine, there are only 2 chickens on this thread who have survived to adulthood, despite the intervention of their loving humans. That does not provide much encouragement to me as I move forward in my decision-making process.
I am here, not so much for advice (the good folks here have provided so much amazing information, and I thank you all heartily for it), but for the support aspect. I love the respect each situation has been shown, both in the case of folks who allowed life to continue for as long as it could, as well as those who chose to end the suffering of their chicks.
I have spoken to the feed store I bought the chicks from, and they have offered assistance in the form of refund, or replacement, and also to end Poppy's life, humanely, for me, should I find myself incapable of it. The chicken expert from the store tells me that this isn't at all uncommon, and in fact 1 in 100 is the usual rate for this breed.
I am just so sad.
hit.gif

I have always raised Australorps and have never come across this problem with any of them, even ones we bred ourselves.
Thank you, again, to everyone who shared their stories and the wonderful advice for folks wishing to prolong the lives of these special birds.

I'm so sorry your girl has developed a cross beak!
sad.png

Best of luck deciding what will be best for everyone.

My girl Violet, a frizzle cochin bantam, still seems happy and healthy (except for the crossbeak). She is 1.5 years old. Her weight is stable. I file her beak at nighttime probably every few weeks. Her feathers get sort of chewed up, likely because her grooming is difficult with the crossbeak. She lays eggs every other day. She's gone broody, but I didn't let her have any fertile eggs or chicks, mainly because I don't have space for anyone else. She comes running for treats with everyone else, and is in the middle of the pecking order.

I am sorry about your little one and glad you gave it a chance. It sounds like you are prepared either way it goes for your little one. My girl, Babs turned 3 years old last month and Crooky a silkie rooster turned 2 years old. Crooky is not as severe as Babs. The only extra I do for them is use the large bowls for feed and mix up some moistened chicken feed with added vitamins and grit. Hope your little one does well!

Im sorry too as it is a long road to hoe with a crossbeak baby. I have gone through it a few times now. I will tell you what experience I had with mine.

They were fine until a certain age when the crossbeak got so bad it became very challenging for them to get enough food. They would fight for food and constantly beg at me for more food. It was heart breaking truly it was. I would always try to help a disabled chicken or chick and I have never had it in me to cull. If I must sacrifice, I will for them.

But that is me and Im just sharing my experience so might know what to look for with your baby.

Poppy's condition is worsening by the day.
Feeling really discouraged about it.
I can "straighten" it with my fingers and gentle pressure, but the second I release it, it goes back again.
As fast as this is happening, I am not seeing much in the way of hope. 5 days ago it was straight. At this rate, she will be scissor-beaked by next week at this time.
sad.png

I just used my dog's nail clippers to trim the tip of Polly's beak today. I could only cut a tiny bit because the quick came so far down. Maybe it will recede and I can keep cutting it.

It's hard for Polly to eat. She flies out of the outdoor enclosure (around 6-7 feet I think with boards across the top) several times a day. If I'm there, I usually offer her a deep scoop of feed because the pellets are easier to pick up that way. She won't touch any moistened food because she thinks she can't eat it (won't make any effort to try it) but I think it could be easier for her to scoop up. She doesn't try to eat scraps or other foods, so she's definitely caught on quickly. I'm kind of surprised that she has completely given up on them, though.

She spends more time eating/drinking than the others, and feels lighter. Her beak doesn't look as bad as many others on here but her tongue is always dry and that looks uncomfortable. She's a few weeks away from laying age. She's very talkative and friendly to me. When she eats, I watch her, but her movements are too fast. She pecks, pecks, pecks, then seems to swallow but it could be just anticipation of the pellet being there. The way her beak is sloped make them fall out. I think she's getting some but I'm not sure. Maybe she is doing better than I think she is.

She's 19 weeks today.

As a chick--I think this one is her--there was no signs of abnormalities:

Back
Top Bottom