Diary of a Crossbeak: Support for Special Needs Chickens and their Keepers

Pics
Hi
It is good you did it right away with the splinting because later after the bones mature it's too late. Pet birds like lovebirds get splayed hips from being leaned against in the nest so hey can't straighten up. They have splints to remedy them too. If you go to a bird site for ailments or injuries I think they can help a lot.

We have a Salmon Favorelle male that has a twisted face. I am wondering if this is something that may become worse and turn into crossbeak? Any one have advice/experience on this?

I wouldn't worry too much about him, Puddin. If he was going to have problems, he probably already would. My main flock rooster has a slightly twisted head much like yours and he is a year and a half old and never had any issues. He is mostly free range.

Thought I would post a pic of the "ugliest" chick ever: my man Spaz, he is going through Chick-a-saurus stages right now so he is even funnier looking, but seems to be pretty healthy and feisty. He is pretty messy when he eats.

I have 2 crossbeaks here. The oldest is a silkie named Kriss Kross and the youngest is Betty who is a silkie/brown leghorn mix. Kriss is 1 1/2 years old now and is doing great. No smaller than any of the other silkies. She has raised many clutches of chicks and did well through the broody period and raising the chicks.
Betty is now 10 months old and just hatched her first chicks and is a great momma and worries about all her chicks. Betty has a more severe crossbeak than Kriss.
I do make a mash twice a day with added vitamins and I also add chick grit and some larger grit into the mash. They cannot pick up the grit and adding it to the mash ensures they get grit. I also offer dry feed and a nutritious scratch called knockout. The knockout has larger pieces they can pick up and has 12 different grains plus protein pellets. I guess it is more like a game bird feed. Well, Betty found out if she hops the fence and goes into the shed, there is a huge feed tub she can climb right in and eat to her hearts content. I have a feeling once the chicks are old enough, all of them will be in the tub! I let her go because I think it is easier for her to get enough to eat.
They both do well within the flock and I do make mash for the entire flock. They think it is the greatest treat in the world!
I trim Kriss's beak with the pedipaws and she doesn't mind it at all. Betty kept hers down with foraging fairly well but needs trimmed with being broody. I will have to wait a bit before attempting it with her because she is still in the pshyco broody stage right now.
I have been told there are more than one reason for the crossbeaks. It could be genetic, incubation problems and if the chick pecks on something hard within the first 48 hours of life can cause a misalignment because their beaks are soft during this time.
So far, mine are thriving and doing well and leading a normal chicken life!

Kriss

Betty

I have one ...I need to figure out what to feed him!! Help.
I know it will most likely end up with me having a broken heart. A 4 day old chick. I named him Mortimer Dexter Jones.

I've been doing Kitten milk with a infant's ear bulb,, trying to be careful to not drown him by giving him too much.
Any help would be appreciated.

I have one ...I need to figure out what to feed him!! Help.
I know it will most likely end up with me having a broken heart. A 4 day old chick. I named him Mortimer Dexter Jones.

I've been doing Kitten milk with a infant's ear bulb,, trying to be careful to not drown him by giving him too much.
Any help would be appreciated.

Does he attempt to eat on his own? I probably would not be giving the milk. Chickens have a hard time with milk products. I would use the chick feed and add water to the conistency that he can tolerate. I would also add vitamins to the mix.

Thanks for the reply.
He tries but seems to not quite be able to get the crumbles in.Do I put him in a bowl of crumbles,chest deep? I will make the mush sans milk and add quik chick,gro-gel?Yogurt?

I would start off with the mash and see how that goes. My crossbeaks have a much easier time eating the mash than anything else. With sick or weak chicks, I make the mash with vitamins and put it on a teaspoon. I hold them while feeding and you can see how he does from there. You might just have to dip his beak in it a few times so he gets to know what it is. I hope he can eat it! Keep us posted!

Thanks for the reply. I hope he does well. I have noticed the last couple of days that the beak offset has increased. At first his face just looked crooked, now I can see part of the lower beak extending beside the upper. I hope it doesn't develop to the point he can't eat. I love my babies, but I already have a 16 year old dog that I have to make special food for, I don't think I am up to spoon feeding a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom