Diary of a Crossbeak: Support for Special Needs Chickens and their Keepers

Pics
Hey we should write an article on caring for cross beaks to submit to the BYC knowledge pages.

Start with feeding, then clipping the beak, then other issues....

I'm in the midst of getting kids out the door for school but wanted to put this out there before I forgot.

Hey we should write an article on caring for cross beaks to submit to the BYC knowledge pages.
Start with feeding, then clipping the beak, then other issues....
I'm in the midst of getting kids out the door for school but wanted to put this out there before I forgot.

That is a great idea!

Thanks - ok to answer my own post, I started an article today and am basically cutting and pasting together all the wonderful stuff you guys contributed. I can't really add anything about care that hasn't already been said, and besides my crossbeak is pretty mild and so far doesn't need special assistance, but I can contribute by collating it all! Is there a way for me to put the article on-line somewhere for you all to review before I submit it to the site editors? I am also planning on giving everyone credit, don't worry! I'm just the editor.

By the way, here is my cross-beak Princess Tiana. She is a Wellsummer and about 25wks old at this point. I think she may have laid two eggs already but I can't be positive they were hers. Her beak was pretty normal as a chick, maybe a bit of space between the top and bottom beak, but the top became more and more curved as she matured until it now crosses the bottom. I trim both top and bottom with nail clippers but I did just order the PediPaws tool to try and get her a smoother edge. I check her for lice and other ailments about once a week but she isn't good at being handled, unfortunately. My fault I was too busy to really condition her. She came from My Backyard Chicken.com along with a Faverolle chick that died pretty early on. After this experience I won't be going with hatchery chicks anymore, just local farms. I call Tiana Ti-Ti which means "auntie" in Spanish, which is so appropriate since she has been very good with my two little bantams. She watches out for them when everyone goes out to free-range and makes sure they are never too far from her.

I have a further question: how different are birds that have had their beaks severely trimmed, i.e., burned off? I hate that practice, but does it make it easier for them to eat? Is this something that has to be done within the first week after hatching?

I have a further question: how different are birds that have had their beaks severely trimmed, i.e., burned off? I hate that practice, but does it make it easier for them to eat? Is this something that has to be done within the first week after hatching?
I was horrified by this idea when I saw this last night. But after a minute of thinking about it, I kinda am intrigued. It just might be a good idea for some birds. I know nothing about it, though.

When it comes to cold weather, and the cross beak, I am constantly saying, "Bring them inside!" But how cold is cold, and how will I know? Pretty sure several of us are wondering. Anyone know?

mine never came in the house unless it was ear cleaning time, he would follow me every where but into the house. he did just fine the whole winter outside with the youngesters

Back
Top Bottom