Diary of a Crossbeak: Support for Special Needs Chickens and their Keepers

Pics
I was horrified by this idea when I saw this last night. But after a minute of thinking about it, I kinda am intrigued. It just might be a good idea for some birds. I know nothing about it, though.
I agree, it is horrific when done to otherwise healthy birds, but then again, these birds are still able to eat, no? Would it be better or worse for crossbeaks if you cut their beaks off altogether? Would you just have a bird with two misaligned stubs that is completely unable to eat? How do these beakless birds even eat anyway? I know zero about commercial poultry farming. I suspect the answer to your other question has already been answered by the commercial guys as welll, i.e., how much calories does a bird expend on heating itself and at what point do you heat them versus let them stay outdoors? Or do they get around that by packing them in so tight they heat each other? (Grim, I know, but sadly the truth). I have to say, I think they are better off outdoors for most of the time since that probably kills off any lice growing on them as well. You don't want to keep bringing them inside and outside because it's the re-adjusting that really throws them out of whack. I'm more inclined to leave them without heat outdoors but I live in Southern NY state. If you live somewhere very windy or where the temps repeatedly drop below freezing then it is probably more of an issue.

By the way, here is my cross-beak Princess Tiana. She is a Wellsummer and about 25wks old at this point. I think she may have laid two eggs already but I can't be positive they were hers. Her beak was pretty normal as a chick, maybe a bit of space between the top and bottom beak, but the top became more and more curved as she matured until it now crosses the bottom. I trim both top and bottom with nail clippers but I did just order the PediPaws tool to try and get her a smoother edge. I check her for lice and other ailments about once a week but she isn't good at being handled, unfortunately. My fault I was too busy to really condition her. She came from My Backyard Chicken.com along with a Faverolle chick that died pretty early on. After this experience I won't be going with hatchery chicks anymore, just local farms. I call Tiana Ti-Ti which means "auntie" in Spanish, which is so appropriate since she has been very good with my two little bantams. She watches out for them when everyone goes out to free-range and makes sure they are never too far from her.

She is very cute!

I think the debeaking is horrible. They are not able to eat as well and they have trouble preening themselves. The only reason they do it is to stop the pecking in the overcrowded conditions they have them live in.

I think the debeaking is horrible. They are not able to eat as well and they have trouble preening themselves. The only reason they do it is to stop the pecking in the overcrowded conditions they have them live in.
Gotcha - so it would be trading one eating problem for a different sort of eating problem. Well it was a thought! I think you do have to do it early on anyway.

I'm so glad another member pointed me in you direction. It is making me nervous though. I just adopted a cross beaked chick and will be raising her as a house chicken. I hope she doesn't get so bad that I will have to tube feed. Right now I assume she's eating. She pecks at her food all day throwing most of it on the floor. She was smaller then the other chicks that were sent to a friend from a hatchery...so not sure she is getting sufficient food. I have been just doing crumbles. I will get some yogurt too. I have wanted to get her some happy hens meal worms but wasn't sure if those require a beak to break them up. Has anyone tried them with your cross beak? Mine is an Easter Egger. Interesting that that is common in that breed. If anyone is on facebook I post daily photo's of her on a special fan page I set up under her name---Pico Torcido (it's Spanish for Crooked Beak)..I feel good having you to contact with questions if need be. Did you guys read the feed from the chicken chick? She says as the beak grows we'll have to cut it with dog clippers. Yikes! But I'll do ANYTHING for my Pico~!
Balletmum ~ My crossbeak is a Mille Fluer D'Uccle. She can't really pick up dry food that well so I make her a mash. Put the dry in with water, peanut butter or bananas and sometimes a little greek yogurt. I have also added seeded 9 grain bread. She is always hungry and runs to the door anytime it opens and even will pace outside the kitchen door/window so I can see her. I love that little girl. She can't pick up or eat the mealworms because of the beaks crookedness. Mine's beak is like yours. But...you could blend up a mix and give it to her in a bowl. All my silkies love her mash so she has to share it. I've created a monster. She wasn't gaining any weight until I started giving her mash. Now she has really plumped up. Good luck. Oh...I do need to clip her beak soon...I haven't done it I'm scared
th.gif

My cross beaked, white in the hair, train wreck of the standard Polish :) I love him/her the best. Soooo sweet. The only chicken I have that comes to me to be held- sweeter than the Silkies! -Pam P.

I think it is due to a change in the coop, but Cadburry has not been coming to me asking for food. I thought she was mad at me, but looking at her, she looks like she has really filled out lately. Her beak looks more crossed, but I don't know that I want to trim it with her doing so well. Then again, if trimming makes it easier to eat, and gives her more of a rest from standing at the feeder all day, I should do it.
barnie.gif
IDK. She does look better. I know that.
The change is that 5 roosters are gone, and the door between the chick grow out pen is now open. She gets to stay in the extra room as long as she wants while everyone else uses the other feeders and waterers by the pop door or outside. No sharing.

Thanks for that recipe @ cindersga---I noticed that although Pico has been eating all day--she is not as big as her sisters--so I will try your mash idea!!! (Pico is on my shoulder as I write you!!)---xoxo

Thanks for that recipe @ cindersga---I noticed that although Pico has been eating all day--she is not as big as her sisters--so I will try your mash idea!!! (Pico is on my shoulder as I write you!!)---xoxo
That's great Balletmum55! When I learned about the mash on here that is when our BrokeBeak started filling out. I now make the mash in a small bowl just for her and have her eat inside the kitchen with us. The other chicks didn't need the mash they were just eating hers and liking being spoiled. You could also add some vitamins to the mash. They suggest childrens Poly-vi-sol NO IRON. It just gives them a little added umph. You don't need much just a drop or two in the bowl mixed in once a day. Don't give her yogurt everyday just once a week maybe. I will also mix in some oatmeal for BB along with oranges smushed up. She loves the oranges, bananas, and peanut butter for sure. Good luck and keep everyone on here posted. We have to uplift one another. I now have 6 new babies and one came out with leg problems and thanks to BYC I found the answer to my problem and a band aid between the legs acted like a splint and my little hatched baby is fine now. What a wonderful thing!. Blessings
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom