Diary of a Crossbeak: Support for Special Needs Chickens and their Keepers

Pics
I don't think she has...  She's been stuck in the barn with the younger chickies.  They have shavings over a cement pad.

How would I check for those??

I'd rather check and rule things out then not explore a possibility!
She could get a fungal infection from spoiled feed. If her wet mash gets tipped over, mold will grow. I've seen it happen.. Just a thought. Not necessarily what she is experiencing. I'd rather deal with a fungal infection than consider CRD.

for Peepers ears I used q-tips. It should help some in the nose good luck
hugs.gif

sad news.... Stewie passed away...
sad.png

I still looked her over and found nothing. guess its time to quarentine all the kids that were with her and scrub down the coop.

sad.png

I still looked her over and found nothing. guess its time to quarantine all the kids that were with her and scrub down the coop.
I am so so very sorry (yes, I meant to say, "so" twice). I hope you can figure out what went wrong. I am so glad you chose to keep Stewie around. We are not that common.
hugs.gif
I hope you are able to rest tonight. You will be in my prayers.

sad.png

I still looked her over and found nothing. guess its time to quarentine all the kids that were with her and scrub down the coop.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine loosing my Broke Beak.

Aoxa can a test to the fact that I just went through this with my new Catdance silkie chicks. I found one wheezing, and then the momma was sneezing, and so on...I freaked out because these are my first chickens. I doctored their water with Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, Poly-vi-sol vitamins, Electrolytes, Vit E, Selenium, and VetRx while I waited for the Denegard (drug) to get here. I also had my husband get an inexpensive vaporizer and gave them "breathing treatments". I brought them all (7) inside to a rabbit cage so I could vaporize them. My Denegard got here yesterday and I started their treatment. Still waiting on my Oxine to come in the mail geeshhhh. The Denegard was $45 with a coupon of $5 off $40 at QC Supply. The coupon code is 5OFF. Hope this helps you. I think it's just that time of year...even humans get sick with the weather change.

Again sorry for your loss.
Cindy

sad.png

Sorry for your loss.... it does happen, they are more fragile than we want to admit to ourselves. At least you will have learned something with her passing, and it will help you save the life of another later on.
hugs.gif

sad.png

So sorry to hear about Stewie. I was having deja vu since you first posted about Stewie. Your description sounded very much like my experience with my Sylvie. Sylvie's decline happened over about three or four days, and ended up with me putting her in a laundry basket and sitting with her in the warm spring sunshine, just talking to her until she passed. I suppose she actually was kind of a success story since she was almost a year old and her cross-beak was so severe. She will always hold a special place in our hearts, as I am sure your Stewie will. Just know that many of us here are wishing you well.

mm

Does anyone know what usually causes their demise? If they are getting enough mash and vitamins, etc. What would cause them to pass before a normal length of time? My Broke Beak is 5 1/2 months old now. I sure hope she is around for many years.

Does anyone know what usually causes their demise? If they are getting enough mash and vitamins, etc. What would cause them to pass before a normal length of time? My Broke Beak is 5 1/2 months old now. I sure hope she is around for many years.

Cindy, I think it is more of the cause of the crossbeak that helps determine their health. If it is genetic, there could very well be other problems internally that we cannot see that might contribute to an early passing. My silkie girl is 2 years old now and doing great but she isn't very severe. The younger girl I have is a little over a year and still doing well, raising chicks so I am hoping she continues to thrive!

Back
Top Bottom