Diary of Max

omg max! you are beautiful! I bet he will make beautiful babies! I hope my first little batch comes out with a cutie like max. But max is a winner
His chick colour was yellow with silver stripes, which I've now learnt is the indicator of a silver red breasted. Although his head feathers are now starting to get darker so I now suspect he's a silver?dilute? Darth (silver blue faced redbreasted) he did have darker shading on his head as a chick xx
20220814_115446.jpg
20220814_115438.jpg
20220911_085806.jpg

I need to select him a mate first but yes I intend to 😁😁 xx
Exciting! I'm on the edge of my sit right now my eggs have been in the incubator for 12 days, the first time hatching/having quail. So worried that the air sack isn't in right place. I don't know how you guys do it!

Exciting! I'm on the edge of my sit right now my eggs have been in the incubator for 12 days, the first time hatching/having quail. So worried that the air sack isn't in right place. I don't know how you guys do it!
What type of quail did u choose? Mine are Chinese painted/Button quails.

And the worry and excitement doesn't stop after the first hatch 😂

I'm still waiting for 2 eggs to hatch. Got impatient and did the water float test coz I was worried I was just watching eggs rot 😂😂 but both were wiggling in the water so there's definate live chicks in there 😂😂

Theyre my coveys very first lay so I'm sat with bated breath 🤞🤞🤞

What type of quail did u choose? Mine are Chinese-painted/Button quails.

And the worry and excitement don't stop after the first hatch 😂

I'm still waiting for 2 eggs to hatch. Got impatient and did the water float test coz I was worried I was just watching eggs rot 😂😂 but both were wiggling in the water so there are definite live chicks in there 😂😂

They're my coveys very first lay so I'm sat with bated breath 🤞🤞🤞
I was originally going to do buttons, they are so freaking cute. But I doing Coturnix first because of all the society craziness. I already dropped the top of the incubator on some eggs completely killing a fertile egg and cracked two of them but tossed some nail polish on them. I so far started with11 eggs, two unfertile, one dead, and two cracked. So am hoping no more issues with the 8 eggs I got left. And I hear buttons are even more difficult to hatch

I was originally going to do buttons, they are so freaking cute. But I doing Coturnix first because of all the society craziness. I already dropped the top of the incubator on some eggs completely killing a fertile egg and cracked two of them but tossed some nail polish on them. I so far started with11 eggs, two unfertile, one dead, and two cracked. So am hoping no more issues with the 8 eggs I got left. And I hear buttons are even more difficult to hatch
U best off sealing cracks with wax (I use birthday candles)

I've not had massive hatching problems with buttons yet. Tho I've been hatching mail order and the viability goes waaay down to about 25% hatch rate with posted eggs. Max was the single hatch out of 6 eggs. My 3 new babies are from a dozen eggs.

I now have a split hatch in my bator (due a week apart) of all my covey eggs. The first 2 due to hatch today or tomorrow and one set of 9 next week and 11 the week after. All of the ones due next week have developed veining. Whereas with posted eggs idve thrown half out by now when candling due to blood rings or just nothing developing.

Its definately easier when it's ur own eggs xx

U best off sealing cracks with wax (I use birthday candles)

I've not had massive hatching problems with buttons yet. Tho I've been hatching mail order and the viability goes waaay down to about 25% hatch rate with posted eggs. Max was the single hatch out of 6 eggs. My 3 new babies are from a dozen eggs.

I now have a split hatch in my bator (due a week apart) of all my covey eggs. The first 2 due to hatch today or tomorrow and one set of 9 next week and 11 the week after. All of the ones due next week have developed veining. Whereas with posted eggs idve thrown half out by now when candling due to blood rings or just nothing developing.

Its definately easier when it's ur own eggs xx
Oh what a good idea, I like your system.

Back
Top Bottom