Diatomaceous Earth

If you ever have a mite or lice infestation, and it is not a bad one, you can carefully rub some DE under the wings of you’re chickens (wear a mask). Do this again after a few days several days, repeat until it’s over.

People here say that it doesn’t work enough if you have a severe infestation. I only had a very light infestation once. And it worked just fine for me.
Thanks! I watched a video on how to apply it directly under the feathers as well as sprinkling some in the bedding in the coop.

Don't bother with DE.
It's not going to prevent nor eliminate and pest infestation.

It's not going to help with a bad drainage situation.
You need to fix the run off by trenching the ground to carry the water run of away from the coop.

Start a new thread asking for "help with drainage problem".
Thanks! Now that my husband has recovered from his shoulder surgery, he will be able to do what he has planned on doing with the drainage issue. He wasn’t able to for the past several months and I have cerebral palsy and I haven’t been able to do large projects such that.

What have you used to get rid of fleas and lice so far? Any ideas are welcome 🙂

What insects are you dealing with?

DE is in the form of tiny crystals that can lodge in your lungs and your chickens lungs as well. It’s not effective for anything when wet.

You can help dry out your coop by adding materials that will soak up the moisture. Straw and pine shavings even work by adding dry material to soak up the water but it really depends on how bad the issue is. The goal, of course, would be fix the drainage problem so it doesn’t get wet to begin with.

What insects are you dealing with?

DE is in the form of tiny crystals that can lodge in your lungs and your chickens lungs as well. It’s not effective for anything when wet.

You can help dry out your coop by adding materials that will soak up the moisture. Straw and pine shavings even work by adding dry material to soak up the water but it really depends on how bad the issue is. The goal, of course, would be fix the drainage problem so it doesn’t get wet to begin with.
Thanks! Now that my husband has recovered from his shoulder surgery, he will be able to do what he has planned on doing with the drainage issue. He wasn’t able to for the past several months and I have cerebral palsy and I haven’t been able to do large projects such that.

Back
Top Bottom