dick horstman

Most of the birds I have seen are a good quality. The term show quality suggests a ready made bird to take to shows. It also suggests such "show ready" birds will be hatched. This is not the case. Even from stock that is top quality, not all the birds will be show worthy and certainly not all the offspring. You might not get any. It might best be seen as a place to start, a place to selectively breed to achieve the loftier goals.

As posted above, much of this will also depend on the breed you are seeking. It may or may not be the case that for a breed you are seeking that Dick's birds would be the absolute best starting point. That would be true of almost any person who keeps many, many breeds. They won't all be the near the top.

Last edited:
thank you for the replies...the breed in question is the dark brahma bantam....i am not good enough with the standards to know..but i am learning for this breed......if his do not meet the top of the line...whos line gives me the best chance.....thank you greg

No one that sells chicks will have Dark Brahma Bantams as good as those you'll get from Dick. You can probably buy adult birds from someone that will be better than some of the chicks you'll get from Dick but you'll pay a lot more for them.
Dick maintains quality flocks of birds with the potential to produce show winners. As Fred said, not every chick produced by quality birds will be a show winner. If that's your expectation you'll be disappointed no matter where you buy.
I'd also add that "show quality" is a term that's fairly unique to BYC. It's not a term that's used much elsewhere in the poultry world.
Generally serious breeders recognize that there's some work involved on their part i n order to produce show winning birds. They will buy well bred breeding stock, hatch lots of chicks, cull ruthlessly & hopefully produce an occasional winner. People who want to buy winners w/o doing any of the work generally don't last long & never accomplish much.

MY HOPE HERE IS TO BE ABLE TO BREED A BETTER BIRD....I HAVE THE INCUBATORS.AND THE RESOURCES ....IT SEEMS THAT MY STUDYING OF THE BREEDER IN QUESTION WAS CORRECT....I WAS JUST CHECKING WITH YOU FOLKS IF YOU MIGHT HAD HEARD OF ANYBODY ELSE......THANK YOU KINDLY........GREG.....

PS I HAVE BEEN OUT OF THE CHICKEN...BIRD ..BUSINESS FOR TWO YEARS DUE TO MULTIPLE DEATHS IN THE FAMILY AND ALSO MY OWN HEALTH PROBLEMS.

MY HOPE HERE IS TO BE ABLE TO BREED A BETTER BIRD....I HAVE THE INCUBATORS.AND THE RESOURCES ....IT SEEMS THAT MY STUDYING OF THE BREEDER IN QUESTION WAS CORRECT....I WAS JUST CHECKING WITH YOU FOLKS IF YOU MIGHT HAD HEARD OF ANYBODY ELSE......THANK YOU KINDLY........GREG.....

PS I HAVE BEEN OUT OF THE CHICKEN...BIRD ..BUSINESS FOR TWO YEARS DUE TO MULTIPLE DEATHS IN THE FAMILY AND ALSO MY OWN HEALTH PROBLEMS.

Why are you shouting?

Hi all-> Just a heads up that I have had a bad experience with ordering from Dick Horstman lately and unless you want to contribute to his retirement fund, I would think twice a sending him money. I ordered and sent money for day olds to be sent in 4-6 weeks. He recommended getting in line to get any. He let me know the day he planned to ship them as the time grew near and that's the last I heard from him. I've called and emailed many times. I thought maybe something bad had happened to him but I talked to his wife and all seemed fine. She said he would take care of it. Three weeks later, still no word from Dick despite repeated attempts to contact him. Thus, buyer beware.

One more thing. PayPal, which I used to pay Dick, will help get your money back but there is a 45-day limit on that and by the time I realized I was getting ripped off that period had been exceeded.

Hi again-> Before Dick could have possibly read this, I got a check from him returning the money saying he had had some minor health problems and the high heat wasn't good for shipping so no chicks would be coming. I guess his computer is down, too. So, all's well that ends reasonably well but there was a definite lack of communication. I waited 4 full weeks after the chicks were supposed to arrive to send my first post.

Back
Top Bottom