Did hatchery send 3 roos?

birdy456

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2023
Our pullets are around 8 weeks old. I am thinking two of my Rhode Island Reds are actually cockerels, by looking at the size of their combs and longer necks in relation to the pullets.

I also have one Easter Egger that seems to have a big comb in relation to the others.

What do you all think? Cockerels or pullets? The first pic shows one RIR pullet with the one that I think is a EE roo.

The first and 3rd pics are the same chicken. I did a close up so the comb could be seen a little easier. The 4th pic is an Easter Egger pullet. I put that in there for comparison. The last pic Is a better pic of one of the RIR, that I think is a cockerel to compare with the RIR pullet in the first pic.

Attachments

• EE Roo.jpg
    EE Roo.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 43
  • RIR Roo.jpg
    RIR Roo.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 26
  • ee comb.jpg
    ee comb.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 25
  • hen3.jpg
    hen3.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 27
  • RIR3.jpg
    RIR3.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I'm still kinda new to chicken keeping so take everything I say with a grain of salt, but if I had to guess number 1 is probably a hen and number 2 MIGHT be a roo, some hens just develop faster. You'll probably be able to tell by 10 weeks, by then most roosters have crowed.

I'm still kinda new to chicken keeping so take everything I say with a grain of salt, but if I had to guess number 1 is probably a hen and number 2 MIGHT be a roo, some hens just develop faster. You'll probably be able to tell by 10 weeks, by then most roosters have crowed.
I know they can develope at different rates, but they all have the same hatch date, and this EE is the only one that had a comb like this. I have adult EE's and they don't have combs.

Our pullets are around 8 weeks old. I am thinking two of my Rhode Island Reds are actually cockerels, by looking at the size of their combs and longer necks in relation to the pullets.

I also have one Easter Egger that seems to have a big comb in relation to the others.

What do you all think? Cockerels or pullets? The first pic shows one RIR pullet with the one that I think is a EE roo.

The first and 3rd pics are the same chicken. I did a close up so the comb could be seen a little easier. The 4th pic is an Easter Egger pullet. I put that in there for comparison. The last pic Is a better pic of one of the RIR, that I think is a cockerel to compare with the RIR pullet in the first pic.
Do you have any updated pictures of your chickens? I have a Rir and I’m not sure if it’s a boy or girl.

Back
Top Bottom