Did I just see a funeral by ducks?

mrdelurk

Chirping
Jul 25, 2020
My pet ducks follow a repeating routine daily. When I open the gate of their fenced area at 8 am, the younger generation pours out with D-day-like elan, then the group of 6 seniors leaves leisurely last, headed to a different area.

Today, 1 of the 6 seniors died of ripe old age at dawn. Attempts at revival failed. Later, at the gate opening, the young ducks poured out as usual, but the 5 bereaved seniors didn’t. First, they gathered in a silent circle in the middle of the fenced area. I never saw them do this before. After 2 minutes of standing as a group, a sister of the deceased walked alone into the banana patch and did something quietly for a minute there, hidden from eyes. (Did she say goodbye?) When she walked out, one male walked in alone next, (perhaps the husband?) and did the same thing. Only when he returned from the patch the group exited the fenced area and proceeded with their usual daily itinerary.

It was eery; it felt like the ducks just let me watch their funeral ceremony. Can't imagine any other reason why they'd do this.

My pet ducks follow a repeating routine daily. When I open the gate of their fenced area at 8 am, the younger generation pours out with D-day-like elan, then the group of 6 seniors leaves leisurely last, headed to a different area.

Today, 1 of the 6 seniors died of ripe old age at dawn. Attempts at revival failed. Later, at the gate opening, the young ducks poured out as usual, but the 5 bereaved seniors didn’t. First, they gathered in a silent circle in the middle of the fenced area. I never saw them do this before. After 2 minutes of standing as a group, a sister of the deceased walked alone into the banana patch and did something quietly for a minute there, hidden from eyes. (Did she say goodbye?) When she walked out, one male walked in alone next, (perhaps the husband?) and did the same thing. Only when he returned from the patch the group exited the fenced area and proceeded with their usual daily itinerary.

It was eery; it felt like the ducks just let me watch their funeral ceremony. Can't imagine any other reason why they'd do this.
That. Is. WIERD.

Interesting. I think it's sweet. Sorry for your loss.

While it's a far leap from ducks & chickens, elephants are known to hold funerals and return to areas where loved ones have died. So it isn't too weird to assume other animals could do it.

So sorry for your (and your ducks) loss!

So sorry for your loss. Animals do grieve and I am sure that is what they did. When my pet Rabbit got killed in my yard by the neighbors dog in front of its mate, the mate grieved itself to death. It would no longer eat and missed its mate so much that it just gave up. A friend of mine that took care of cattle broke his leg in a ground hog hole in the middle of the field. The cattle all circled him. When the owner of the farm saw them he went out to see why and there was my friend, his hired hand in need of help. Animals are smarter than some people I think. They look after each other and miss each other when they are gone.

I'm very sorry for your, and your ducks', loss.

When my flock and I have lost one of our much loved ducks the rest of the ducks have definitely mourned. They never had a ritual, but most of my ducks passed away at the vet, and so the remaining ducks were at home quacking loudly. The mourning period lasted weeks to months, depending on how treasured the duck was.

Maybe I should have shown them the bodies.

I believe I'd say YES... yes you did witness a duck funeral or memorial service.... call it whatever you like, I think it's BEAUTIFUL!💖💖💖
Nature never ceases to SUPRISE & AMAZE me! THANK YOU for sharing your experience!
🤗💖

Back
Top Bottom