Did you insulate your coop?

thanks for all of the replies guys.
thumbsup.gif
looks like an even split between insulated and non. trying to decide if i want to do this or not.

Yes and no. When we built our coop we did not add any insulating material. But there is an air pocket between the outer wall and the inner wall as well as between the floor and bottom of the coop, which does act as an insulating area. So while we didn't really add any insulation, we did technically insulate by creating an air pocket on the walls and floor (the eaves are open though). If your coop has open walls right now maybe you could wait and see how your birds do in the cold temps. After all, if the walls are currently open it would be no big deal to go back and add insulation later if you feel it is necessary. And waiting until you think it is necessary could save you money and time if it turns out you never get to that point.

I insulated.
Figure thier body heat can heat the inside.
also could prevent drafts, you don't know about.
Think about it, you are outside in the winter and you step behind a building or a tree and suddenly it is not so cold.
That is the reason I did it.
Confortable girls, more eggs.
The chicken house in process. I was just messuring for the foam.
100379_chickens_26aug2011_002.jpg

I did it more for my piece of mind than the chickens. I live in N Utah where it goes for days below freezing in the winter and 90+ in the summer. I have no outside heat, other than their heated water bowl. I just figure for an extra 40 bucks I won't have to think about their temperature comfort again. I can worry about something else!

My coop is insulated between the studs with bubble wrap type insulation. It has foil on the wall side, and is white on the inside. I would recommend either this or foam insulation board over any loose type or fiberglass batting, both of which can trap moisture and insects.
Whatever you use should be covered to keep the chickens from eating it.

It often gets well below zero in the winter here. Even with a window always cracked open, it is draft free and I seldom have frozen eggs.

I kept all the insulating to the outside, more as a wind break.
72666_image0298.jpg

The north wall, (sorry for the poor lighting,) I stacked hay bales then the upper foot or two I lined with closed cell foam so ice won't form on the metal directly. My girls roost up along that north face and I worry about frost bite.
72666_image0299.jpg

Probably all over kill, I'm a big believer in the deep litter method, and the coop is well ventilated, no drafts. I'm thinking I really should return those chicken sweaters back to the store.
big_smile.png

I like the idea of having a space between the external walls, and internal "floating" walls.... you slot your insulation material into the space in between, and can remove it again when the season changes.

I'm in Eastern Canada with a climate akin to Boston and our coop is not insulated.

I think the key thing to remember is that it's not something essential. Regardless of whether we here insulate or not we all still seem to have happy, healthy chickens. Ventilation is the priority. Address that and then decide on insulation.

It's right around freezing here today and the big front door to my coop is open. The chickens are staying in because it's snowing but they've happily ventured out on colder days. They don't mind the cold like we do - the wonder of insulating feathers!
smile.png

Quote:
I'm in central Maine and I didn't insulate my coop. Like you, our winter temperatures often hover around freezing. I'm still a little wet behind the ears when it comes to chickens, so I often scan through the coop section to get ideas to improve my coop. I've noticed that more coops are insulated than not and it makes me kinda scratch my head. Chickens have faaaar more insulation than say goats or cows and you don't hear about people insulating their barns.

Ya, the frozen water is a bit of a chore, especially if you don't have electricity to run a heater. But that becomes a non issue if you have a second waterer that you switch out mid day, and grab the eggs while you're up there and they won't have time to freeze.

Just my opinion...
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom