Did your family invent words?

we have a few
moty troll : remote control
my daughter "brooms" the floor instead of sweeping it

and when i talk german with the dialect i grwe up with nobody would understand it
i grew up in Lachheim:"Lachham"
the next city was Obersteinbach : shtabach"
we also never make a t-sound only the d sound
k are spoken as g's....

Another West Virginian here. In our family, a lazy person= a "sarp." As in, "Git off your sarp butt and woosh them dishes" (Mine didn't say "worsh," maybe because of the Va. influence from the grandparents. Not quite so many hard 'r's in our fam., although a few, depending on the word in question).

Milk going bad is "blinky."
A sickly animal or person is "dauncy."

I grew up in Arkansas and my family was from South Arkansas (different dialects in different parts of the state) and some that I can think off right off the top of my head are:

Rurn = ruin (still caint say it right to this day!)

Caint = can't

yor =your

day ed (two syllables) =dead

warsh - wash (and now I use a dishwarsher)

we also say "smooch", as in I'll just take a "smooch", cause I don't want a lot.

tump = a cross between dump and turn over

Shelly

Tookn

I'm guessing, this is a word used farther south.

My cousin's husband grew up much farther south than KY. The first time he used "tookn".

I was like What?!

You know, I tookn it back because it didn't work.

Last edited:
Tuit As in tuit your cigarette. (it is the sound that is made by the fingers when flicking the ashes off of the cigarettes) My sisters and I said " tuit your cigarette" when my mother needed to flick some ashes off . I don't smoke, but when my mother was alive she smoked like a freight train until the day she died.

Quote:
I knew a Yinzer (Pittsburgher: Yins = Y'all) who moved to New Jersey when he was very young. His school put him in special ed thinking that he was "retarded". They eventually figured out what the real problem was and got him speech therapy sessions to teach him how to speak with a proper Jorsey accent.

we dont really have words...as much as phrases....
There was a family down the road from us...thier last name..Reindharts....and seems the wind always blew that way...so, after a good storm, everything was " leaning towards Reindharts" Now...we use it all the time..it just stuck.
And for my grandson...when I want a kiss...I say...Gimme a mooch pooch. Funny thing..his mom said that to him once..and he said..Mommy, thats GRANDMAS " thing" You can't say that! LOL

Back
Top Bottom