digital tv killed pbs for us

jbirds2012

Songster
7 Years
Aug 14, 2012
paicines, ca.
i remember back in the mid ninety's when " your regularly scheduled programing " was interrupted because the writers went on strike. that's when they lost me forever. as far as I'm concerned it's been crap TV ever since. i always liked the PBS programs before TV went to crap and since there was nothing else to watch in between, i just quit watching "regularly scheduled TV." my peers accused me of being weird, because i didn't want to watch bloody gore while i was having supper. since i was in a position to watch PBS uninterrupted in my space and be left alone i was good with that. i moved to the country and got 14 channels, 3 were PBS before the government forced us to have digital TV. now i get 3 channels of crap and no PBS at all. hm mm, i don't remember voting for dig TV. Hey Mr. government did i get screwed somehow ? how come i didn't get a choice ? i mean i do pay taxes.

We don't have dig tv.Cancelled the cable yeas ago.I order from the library.Through the state interloan program I can get dvd's from all over the state delivered to my library.

Dig box is what $60? Plus you need an antenae? Forget that!

PBS posts a lot of their shows online so you can catch them there free if you are missing them -- the free content is usually time sensitive just like regular TV. Some of the more popular shows like sesame street also have their own youtube channels with tons of great content if you have kids.

Nat Geo and the History Channel also have a lot of online content that is pretty good.

You could also take a look at Hulu (which is free) or Netflix or Amazon Prime which both offer a lot of different streaming content including some of the PBS series (I know netlfix has Downton Abby, otherwise I have not looked too extensively there) that are pay services but much cheaper than a full TV package.

Last edited:
i remember back in the mid ninety's when " your regularly scheduled programing " was interrupted because the writers went on strike. that's when they lost me forever. as far as I'm concerned it's been crap TV ever since. i always liked the PBS programs before TV went to crap and since there was nothing else to watch in between, i just quit watching "regularly scheduled TV." my peers accused me of being weird, because i didn't want to watch bloody gore while i was having supper. since i was in a position to watch PBS uninterrupted in my space and be left alone i was good with that. i moved to the country and got 14 channels, 3 were PBS before the government forced us to have digital TV. now i get 3 channels of crap and no PBS at all. hm mm, i don't remember voting for dig TV. Hey Mr. government did i get screwed somehow ? how come i didn't get a choice ? i mean i do pay taxes.

if you have an indoor antenna like a "boom box" or "rabbit ears" you might just need to buy a good outdoor antenna and roter and booster to get more channels....

The switch to digital was necessary because we were running out of usable radio frequencies. Analog TV was an obsolete technology that wasted a huge part of the radio spectrum. The switch to DTV has freed up parts of the broadcast spectrum for public safety communications for police and fire departments. It has provided interactive video and data services that are not possible with analog technology. It also expanded programming choices for viewers. For example, broadcasters can now offer multiple digital programs simultaneously (multicasting). It's allowed stations to offer improved picture and surround sound and lots more.

Anyone that didn't know about the government coupon system had to be living under a rock, since the program was advertised for months before the switch over and the date was extended to give people more time. It's just the future. You cannot stop it. Tax payers didn't vote for FM radio or color TV either, but it happened and people adapted to the progress. :)

The switch to digital was necessary because we were running out of usable radio frequencies. Analog TV was an obsolete technology that wasted a huge part of the radio spectrum. The switch to DTV has freed up parts of the broadcast spectrum for public safety communications for police and fire departments. It has provided interactive video and data services that are not possible with analog technology. It also expanded programming choices for viewers. For example, broadcasters can now offer multiple digital programs simultaneously (multicasting). It's allowed stations to offer improved picture and surround sound and lots more.

Anyone that didn't know about the government coupon system had to be living under a rock, since the program was advertised for months before the switch over and the date was extended to give people more time. It's just the future. You cannot stop it. Tax payers didn't vote for FM radio or color TV either, but it happened and people adapted to the progress. :)

i am sure it was, all I'm saying is that i got 14 channels before and now i get 3 if i am lucky. the 3 that get to anyone anymore are the ones that expect sheeple to follow their suggestive influences.

If you would like to watch PBS programming there are various options for choosing to do that. If you don't want to watch TV then don't.

The internet, original web series, podcasts and public radio all offer a lot of really amazing avenues for storytelling, documentaries and educational programs that are outside of conventional television outlets if you find those too commercially driven.

I think it is also important to note that while PBS receives some government funds, it does not survive on tax dollars. If that organization is something you believe worth while the best way to ensure access is to support them.

I too miss PBS.. I got rid of cable after they kept shaving channels off out lineup and somehow I kept paying more and more.

The kids watch some VHS now, besides playing much more.. but I would like them to be able to watch PBS again (the website isn't really an option, since I need my PC for work, which is what I do when they watch TV). The shows help their speech and they're really a wealth of information for them.

yea, they had some great programs. we have satellite Internet so we can't download a lot unless we want to pay out the yeng yang for extra tokens.

Back
Top Bottom