• Don't leave it on.

• Leave it on!

Results are only viewable after voting.

CuzChickens

CountryChick
7 Years
Apr 24, 2016
Virginia
Hey guys! I haven't been on here in a long time, but I've got a question about winter egg laying....I have found this solar powered light on Amazon and I am wondering if it would be ok to leave it on all night? It is a dim light, so I don't think it would stress them out too much. I'd just like the advice from some folks that have gone through a few more winters than I have. :) Thanks in advance, hope you all are doing well! https://www.amazon.com/Designers-L-...0013HPNRY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

It says this light runs 2-4 hours & in winter it would probably stay on 2 or less. I have used a similar light in a mobile coop before & it should be fine. The light would never stay on all night now. It is the only way I would use light at night, as the light will gradually dim before it goes out, so no sudden lights off! It may just give them enough hours of additional light to keep them laying. YMMV

Hey guys! I haven't been on here in a long time, but I've got a question about winter egg laying....I have found this solar powered light on Amazon and I am wondering if it would be ok to leave it on all night? It is a dim light, so I don't think it would stress them out too much. I'd just like the advice from some folks that have gone through a few more winters than I have. :) Thanks in advance, hope you all are doing well! https://www.amazon.com/Designers-L-...0013HPNRY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Depends on where it is in relation to the roosting birds and how bright 'dim' is.
Curious as to why the light is in there in the first place?

Thank you guys for your input! I am thinking you are all probably right, so I'll try to find a different method.

@aart I seriously need to increase egg production. I have 40 birds that should be laying right now, but aren't because we are getting 8 hours of daylight. They are all mostly out of their molt, and some new ones should be laying as well.

Soooo, with that being said, what do you guys use to keep your girls laying?

I don't keep them laying. I let them have the rest the lessened daylight hours give them. I think it's important for their bodies whether they're heritage layers or production. I'd prefer they give me longevity rather than burn out. I think it's cheaper in the long run. Raising chicks is expensive.

As far as a light in the coop, I have a .5 watt night light that shines behind the one door so no hens are directly exposed to the light. I have it on for the same reason I have night lights throughout my house. It's to be able to see enough to walk around without bumping into anything. I have it on for them so I don't have to turn on lights and disrupt them if I have to enter the coop at night...and so they have just enough light to be able to get back on a roost if they get knocked off. :)

@aart I seriously need to increase egg production. I have 40 birds that should be laying right now, but aren't because we are getting 8 hours of daylight. They are all mostly out of their molt, and some new ones should be laying as well.

Virginia Beach is now getting about 10 hours of daylight.
You need to use a bright rather than dim light,
bright enough to read a newspaper at roost height.
It needs to be on a timer to give the birds a consistent 12-14 hours of 'daylight'.
But it's not like flipping a switch.
Best to ramp up light slowly and then can take a few weeks for the 12-14 hours lighting to have an affect.
Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting.

Back
Top Bottom