Dirt floor coop

sierraboots

Chirping
Mar 28, 2018
Iowa
So we made the mistake of buying a TSC coop. We reinforced it and it’s great now. But... the leak roofs at the peak, which we didn’t know until the crazy rain passed through the last couple days and we’re working on fixing that. We originally used hay for the bedding because that’s what we had on hand. I’m cleaning out all the wet stuff today and find a layer of food across the whole coop floor under the hay. What are your opinions? Leave it bare for a few days and let the chickens pick at it or put fresh bedding over the top of it? Also what does everyone do with old bedding? There’s a lot of it because we pretty much went from freezing winter to hot summer in a weekend so I had lots in there for warmth
9510E9DF-E911-4B1E-AEAC-9413248BF682.jpeg

We bought a prefab as well and had to modify it to make it work well. If you put caulking at the seam on the roof, it won't leak. We did that and ours didn't leak after a crazy three day rainstorm.

Is your bare floor in the coop or run? I am no chicken expert so others will probably give you a better answer, but I would say if it is in the coop, put bedding in, but leave it be in the run. Our run is just dirt, and I throw in some dried leaves every few days.

Last edited:
We bought a prefab as well and had to modify it to make it work well. If pit caulking at the seam on the roof, it won't leak. We did that and ours didn't leak after a crazy three day rainstorm.

Is your bare floor in the coop or run? I am no chicken expert so others will probably give you a better answer, but I would say if it is in the coop, put bedding in, but leave it be in the run. Our run is just dirt, and I throw in some dried leaves every few days.

Good idea! It’s bare in both the coop and run. We had hay in the coop but when I cleaned it out I found that whole layer of food underneath. I just left it bare for now because I found my littlest chicks dust bathing in it lol

I would guess it wouldn't matter if they are sleeping on roosts, as long as the nights are warm. If they are still sleeping cuddled in a pile, they may want something softer to sleep on. It may be harder to clean the poops with it bare, though.

As far as the food on the floor I would scrape it out and toss it - since it was wet and buried there's a high chance that mold is forming on it. Then put more bedding on top to keep the chickens from getting at any bits that might be left over.

And as far as the coop bedding I'd just scrape it into the run. I use mostly wood chips in the coop, my run is deep litter so the chips just get mixed in with everything else.

Back
Top Bottom